[Metastockusers] Re: ATR - True & Reverse

Hi Roy,

Leaving Exponential Moving Averages aside for the moment, it's my firm
belief that any x-period averaging mechanism should do exactly what it
says.
Again, it's my opinion that regardless of what Mr Wilder intended in
the application of Average True Range (ATR), a 10-period ATR should be
just that: an average of the True Range over 10 periods.

The way ATR is implemented in MetaStock, a 10-period ATR is an
exponential average of the True Range over 19 periods:
ATR(10)=Mov(ATR(1),19,E)

As Bill pointed out in the previous post, TradeStation computes the
correct simple average of True Range over x periods.

How many of us thought until now, that we were using a 19-period
average of the True Range in ATR(10)?

In reality, using a Average True Range of x periods when we are led to
believe it's an average over (x+1)/2 periods, is simply misleading.
Why not call the smoothing something else rather than "periods"?

The key word here is "Average" and its definition.
Let's call a spade, a spade.

jose '-)

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roy Larsen" <rlarsen@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Jose
>
> > Whilst coding the True/Reverse ATR indicator below, I've noticed
that
> > MetaStock Pro v8.01 smooths ATR's erroneously.  The MS exponential
> > smoothing is based on periods*2-1.
>
> The "periods*2-1" ratio is that used by Wilders Smoothing, the form
of exponential moving average
> used in a number of indicators developed by Wilder.
>
> See the following code for similarities and differences. Notice that
Wilders Smoothing is seeded by
> a Simple Moving Average for "n" periods while the EMA is seeded on
bar one by the value of the data
> array being smoothed. The EMA code below does not have any N/A plot
(this can be created easily
> enough) but it is still true to the standard MetaStock EMA.
>
> Since Wilder iss the author of the "Average True Range" indicator I
would think that Wilders
> Smoothing is the intended form of smoothing. Of course I could be
wrong as you have seen more than