simple solution would be:
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000
size=2>Cross(C,Mov(C,30,E))
<FONT face=Arial color=#ff0000
size=2>
This exploration
when placed into the filter column of an Exploration should give you
all tickers in your list where the Close has today crossed above the 30
EMA.

<FONT face="Kunstler Script" color=#008000
size=5>Regards,
<FONT face="Kunstler Script" color=#008000
size=5>
Gordon
Sutherland

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Doug
  [mailto:dougley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, 11 February 2004
  1:58 p.m.To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
  [EquisMetaStock Group]

  <SPAN
  >Hi all,  can you please help
  me with writing an exploration for Metastock.  Any help will be much
  appreciated. To the experienced user this will be a breeze but for me it is
  quite confusing.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Can this task be done in
  Metastock?
  <FONT
  face="Times New Roman" size=3>
  <SPAN
  >What I am trying to do is search
  for a new close above a 30 day ema.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >When I run this search,<SPAN
  >  Mov(C,30,E), I get many shares that
  have closed above a 30 day ema, and most of these shares have closed above the
  ema many periods ago.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >But this is not want I want to
  search for, I only want the exploration results to show a new close above the
  30 day ema.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Cheers