Re: [Metastockusers] Normalized MACD Considerations

Hi Jim,

I've to thank you because you writes in easy words (and very good English)
what I tried to tell.

Perfect explanation and suggestion :-)

Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE

  Hi, folks:I think that RobinHood's idea of
  normalizing the MACD is a very fruitful thing to consider, if you are
  doing Explorations to "rank" the relative values of MACD's (or their
  Histograms) across a large group of stocks.As a reminder, here are
  the relevant formulae:  MACD = FastEMA(C) - SlowEMA(C)
  Histo = MACD - SignalEMA(MACD)This presumes that the nature of your
  system is somewhat different than the "classical" MACD signal logic.
  The classic approach is to look for cases where the MACD (or its Histo)
  has crossed the zero line (one way or the other).If you use this
  approach, then there is no need for normalization, since 0=0=0 regardless
  of the price range of the stock.  Or, as the Spanish would say, "all
  cats are gray at night".However if you want to use the MACD (or its
  Histo) to comparatively rank the "trend speed" (MACD) or "trend
  acceleration" (Histo) of the stock's price action, then normalization of
  some sort IS required.The "units" of the MACD are "change in dollar
  value". Most trading decisions need to be made on dollar-value change
  VERSUS the dollars at risk (where risk = stoploss related, equity related,
  or both).Let's say, for example, we prequalify our trades by finding
  stocks whose Histo's have just crossed up through the zero line.
  That does not require normalization.Now let's presume (for
  discussion) that amongst those recent crossovers, we think that stocks
  which have a steeper MACD slope offer better trading opportunities than
  ones with gentle slopes.  Keep in mind that a steep MACD slope
  indicates the FastEMA is separating quickly from the SlowEMA.In
  that case, we need to SORT the results of the Exploration based on a
  column with a formula something like MACD(today)-MACD(yesterday). Higher
  values represent faster increases in dollars per day.However a change
  of 0.10 per share per day in the FastEMA-SlowEMA of a $1.00 stock is much
  more significant to our pocketbook than that same 0.10 change for a $100
  stock ... we might typically own 100 shares of the $100 stock, but would
  have 10,000 shares of the $1 stock!Thus the need for
  normalization.  A comparison like that is better done by first
  finding the change-in-dollars-PER-COMMITTED-DOLLAR, then doing the
  Exploration Sort.  That is, a comparison of 0.10/$1 verus 0.10/$100
  would provide us a more useful metric.One way to do this normalization
  is to first calculate the MACD, then divide by the most recent
  price:   ( Mov(C,FastMA,E) - Mov(C,SlowMA,E) ) / C
  However to get a true normalization, we should use the same "reference
  base" in the denominator as we use in the numerator:   (
  Mov(C,FastMA,E) - Mov(C,SlowMA,E) ) / Mov(C,SlowMA,E)Either of these
  approaches will provide a metric for comparison across multiple stocks
  that is useful for determining which has a higher "trend speed".  I
  personally prefer the second of the two.A similar argument can be made
  for comparing the "trend acceleration" differences between stocks, by
  normalizing their Histo values.Jim DeanTo
  to:Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxYour use
  of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor