[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Back Testing Questions Johndoe

John,

   My questions were meant to get at understanding how the programming
worked.  20 DMA X-Over is simple, but when you get into othe types of
programming I'm lost.  The backtester I use requires me to set up the
buys and sells in a particular fashion. Not understanding the
programming made it difficult for me to attempt with the SPY system
that was published.

   I published some of the posts in responce to my questions and I
fully plan to revisit the issue.

  Another issue I'm just coming to grips with is the Reward to Risk
aspect.  My SPY system certainly does not generate the 22% or whatever
the system put forward on this board apparently generates.  And I
think my Reward to risk on my SPY system is only 1.5.  Annualized rate
/ Drawdown.  But I'm hearing that at least 2.0 is desired and some
shoot for much better R to R figures before they will trade a system.

   Now a qqq system I've just set up looks like a 6.x Reward to Risk
and I'm probably going to toss a few dollars at it and see how it
plays.  Nice smooth equity line over time and so forth...worth a shot
I guess.

My nagging problem with my QQQ system is that the QQQ doesn't have as
much data to work with as SPY and individual stocks I've set up.  And
I've got a feeling if there were more data available on the QQQ
(meaning data that would have been created in other types of markets)
then my returns would probably drop, drawdown would increase, and R To
R would degrade.  So I realize that I have some nice QQQ numbers and
it's most likely because there is not enough data to account for most
different sorts of markets I'll be seeing in the future with the QQQ.

   As always, the hardest part for me is the actual programming.  The
simplest of programming tricks can take me days to figure out.  And
that's all I was after on that system you folks published.  Some
understanding of how the programming worked.

    To be honest, I've been so busy working on the trading projects
I've assigned myself on this 2 weeks of down time I have, that I
haven't been able to return to that SPY system and try to work it out.
 Even now I have work running in the background.

   Thanks for your responce.  I seriously doubt that I have anythign
to really contribute to this group but I'll think about it.  An
amateur system builder that can't program certainly wouldn't have much
to contribute....I would think.

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, johndoeforever49

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511