  >From:
  Joe J.
  To: <A
  title=equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 9:30
  PM
  Subject: RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Re:
  simple SPY trading system using Bolinger Bands

  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>JO,

  Not
  to defend the poster of the BB system but as I see it, he has some
  variables in his system and you have some in yours (in fact all systems have
  rules - i.e., variables).  Just because you decided not to
  change the 4% (why not 2% or 5%? - remember too that Ziewg probably
  optimized the 4% number to begin with) or the 20dma, doesn't mean that
  your system is better/worse on its face than the BB
  system.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  That
  being said, you make some good points about testing the robustness
  of the system.  I ran this on the five minute SPY bars from 11-3 to
  11-17 (857 bars) in a points only test and it made
  a woeful .38 points on 69 trades.  The win percentage was
  almost 61%.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  In
  looking at it, one would have a hard time trading this system because you
  are shorting while the market can be screaming up (and vice-versa) and you
  have no means of a stop to get you out - you have to wait for a
  reversal.  Thus, I don't disagree with your conclusion with regard to
  this system.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  Good
  Trading,
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  Joe
  J.
    <SPAN
  id=hbblock>

    <FONT face=Tahoma
    size=2>-----Original Message-----From: manohohman
    [mailto:no_reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003
    1:48 PMTo: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
    [EquisMetaStock Group] Re: simple SPY trading system using Bolinger
    BandsThis is an interesting systems as opposed to
    the 4% VLE system that I posted. This system has the potential
    to be curve fitted. Curve fitting is simply changing variables in the
    expert equations, or adding trading rules to a trading system to the
    point where the system is tuned only for the historical data it is being
    tested on. In this system you have two variables which impact the
    outcome. You have the BB periods and BB std devs. Both of which can be
    tweaked for one security over a specified range of historical data. BB
    systems are easily over optimized. In the 4% VlE system you have
    the VLE which can't be manipulated. You have the 4% rule which can't be
    changed and you have a 20 dma which is very common. The trading rules
    are take whichever signal comes first. So there's only one trading rule.
    Once moving average, which was not optimized (ie 20 not 22 or 36 or
    whatever) and you have the 4% price differential which is fixed. That
    makes it really hard to curve fit it. However, it is not robust in that
    it only trades the price movement of the SPY, or the market as a whole,
    as it was intended. The BB system is not robust either in that
    it is only applied to the SPY. If it were applied to other markets, it
    would likely produce much lower results. (Actually I did test it and it
    does produce lower results as expected. Since it wasn't presented as a
    robust trading system, I didn't bother sharing those results.)
    To test the degree of curve fit in the BB, I did a walk-forward
    out-of-sample data test and in sample test. Walk-forward tests are
    difficult to do with MS because it does not have that as an optional
    choice. Here are the results.

    Annual  B&H   Trades
    DrwDwn    Ten Years   18.24%  5.84%
    138/206    >0.003Seven Years 18.67%  10.42%
    81/120     0.015OutSamTwo
    Years   16.94% -3.62%  25/38
    0.041One Year    31.20% -27.4%
    14/18      0One Year
    18.97% 27.98%  7/12
    0.038Six Months  6.65% -6.68%
    5/9        0.045Six Months
    25.30% 23.00%  10/15      0.016You
    have to be careful how short your walk forward periods are because if
    they are too short, you'll chop off parts of the drawdowns
    periods.In addition, in almost every year tested the lossing
    trades, both average and highest, were worse than the winning trades.
    However because winning trades out number losing trades the system is
    profitable.The TradeStation report on the 4% VLE system is
    different from MS reports. It ended its tests in 2002. As I said I
    didn't run it, but I have the results. The annual rate of return was
    21.7% vs about 6% for the market. Tradestation doesn't give me the exact
    raito between winners and losers but it looks like 140 or so out 207
    were good trades. In addition, the winning trades returned a much higher
    percentage of profit than losses. The 4% VLE system can't be
    curve fitted--at least by any conventional means that I am aware of. I
    programmed it uniquely using a highlight code which can't be used
    direclty in the systems tester. I am thinking about writing an expert
    for it and if I do, I will try to put it in a form that can be tested in
    MS. The way I want to do it is a little tricky because I am not coding
    for the SPY, I will be coding for the VLE and then transfering the entry
    and exit points to the SPY. How much fun can one guy
    have!Anyway, you can read the data and draw your own conclusions. If
    you think that you need to do your own systems tests because you feel
    more comfortable with whatever you think you're doing that other
    people aren't, please do so, and then share the results. Recognize
    that there probably won't be a way to reconcile the differences,and I
    just can't help you with figuring out how to do your own tests. If
    you don't know how to do these tests, the results probably aren't
    going to be reliable anyway. I think the BB system paired with
    some other non-curve fit non-colliner indicators might work well for the
    SPY. That's my opinion.JO--- In
    equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "personal592002"
    <personal592002@xxxx> wrote:> For your system backtesting
    enjoyment:> > Use 6 day Bollinger Bands +/-1.6 stadard
    deviations on end of day > data on SPY.  Buy at open when the
    closing price crosses above the > lower Bolinger Band, sell when the
    closing price crosses below the > upper Bollinger Band. Trade both
    long and short.  Very simple & back > tests great on the
    SPY. Ten year performance over 2X that of buy and > hold, 207
    trades in ten years 140 of which were profitable....> > Code -
    > > Buy & Buy to cover:> >
    Cross(CLOSE,  BBandBot(CLOSE, 6, SIMPLE, 1.6))> > Sell
    & Sell Short:> > Cross(CLOSE,  BBandTop(CLOSE, 6,
    SIMPLE, 1.6))To unsubscribe from this group, send
    an email
    to:equismetastock-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour
    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

  to:equismetastock-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour