Re: [Metastockusers] starting fresh

All the symbols are located in the Downloader folder. Assuming you chose the
default options, the path would be:
C:\Program Files\Equis\The DownLoader
Their suffix is usually .dta (e.g. SymbolDatabase80.dta) but can be .sym
also, esp. if you created them by renaming a .csv file (e.g. from an Excel
database). [Note: there are other .dta files in the folder too which you
don't want to delete.] To keep things simple and clean, I would suggest you
uninstall MS, delete the entire Equis folder (if still there) and then
install MS afresh (there is no way to just uninstall and reinstall
Downloader by itself). Then start your Downloader and click on
Tools...Update Symbol Databse. That way, you will not have any symbols that
you have created in the Downloader database.

Of course, you could just call Equis tech support and follow their advice
and it may turn out that all you have to do is just delete the file
SymbolModifications80.dta in The Dowmnloader folder :)

That's for the symbols in the DL database. If your question was where are
the data files for the symbols (which you open, e.g., to view charts in MS),
they are usually in MetaStock Data folder (and subfolders) on your hard
drive e.g. C:\MetaStock Data, unless you use another folder. You can delete
the entire MetStock Data folder (and subfolders) and it will be recreated
when you reinstall MS. However, you will lose all data for all securities
and will have to download everything afresh from your new data provider. An
alternate would be Move the Metastock Data folder to another location (e.g.
C:\Temp) instead of deleting it, and then later if you feel like it you can
copy select securites over using Downloader to your new Metastock Data
folder (provided, of course, that the symbol would be in a format supported
by your new data vendor).

JD