Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Programming Horizontal Shift

Russ

Using Ref() with a plus or minus value is the usual way to shift a signal
left or right on a chart. The problem with using a "plus reference" is that
it is effectively looking into the future, or making decisions with
hindsight. Any system built around a plus reference is untradeable in real
time because the shifted signals are not available until the set number of
bars later.

You can easily verify this effect by dropping any moving average  onto a
chart and setting the horizontal shift to -5. For a 25 period simple moving
average this is the same as Ref(Mov(C,25,S),+5). Do not be confused by the
apparently opposite sign - a negative shift of a moving average is
synonymous with a positive reference.

A positive reference can be useful (to some traders) for defining past pivot
points or similar events but in my opinion they should NEVER be used. The
System Tester will accept positive references but the Explorer will not.

Roy

> I would appreciate some advice from the programming guru's on the
> board how to define a horizontal shift to a custom indicator.
>
> Lets say I'm building a custom indicator of MOV(c,20,s) and always
> want a shift of -10 days to reduce the delay. What parameter do a use
> to communicate the shift variable?
>
> I've searched the archives of this BB and guppy with no success.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Regards, Russ

DVD Rentals with No Late Fees - Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/.ZSp6B/dlOFAA/46VHAA/BefplB/TM