[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Metastock external DLL

The Equis tool kit gives you to facilities.  First it allows you
access to the data files.  The data file access is not the easiest
design - a lot of processing over head has to be built into your
program to manage the data and directories in any logical fashion.
However once you have gotten to the data you can do anything you
want.  I decided to create my own charts since MetaStock can not do
the kinds of non-linear charting that I find valuable.

For data access the ML Downloader people make a similar module for a
little over $50 without the restrictions on use Equis illegally
imposes and with that DLL you get access to raw data on the
Internet.  I have not tried the MLDownloader package yet, but since
the code I am deveoping has a data independant layer I am thinking I
will before distributing the module.

The second access is to create a DLL that can be called from Meta
Stock through the Easy Language.  I have written a couple of these.
They work but since Meta Stock is calling you only once for each rray
calculated there is little advantage gained over the internal
language unless you are going to provide facilities that are not in
Meta Stock.  I was using a data base of stored information to
deteming the beginning and ending of patterns and using a Neural et
to do pattern matching.  I never got too far down this road, but what
I wrote seemed to work.

Now since I want to draw more compelling charts using full color
graphics I will probably just skip the DLL and just use the data
directly.  If you go this route I see nothing stopping you from using
VB to read the data.  Techincally there should be nothing stopping
you from making a DLL in VB that is called from the C DLL that Equis
provides.  You would just need a layer that translates C style
strings to Varients and back again.

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "sharpatwork <mtrimarco@xxxx>"
<mtrimarco@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> could anyone please give me some suggestions in writing external
DLL
> for MS? I know there is a toolkit to accomplish that job, but
because
> I'm not a C/C++ programmer and it seems impossible to write such
DLL