RE: Larry Williams' "Volatility Breakout System"

I've
had some luck coding this type of system in Excel.  Due to the fact that
you cannot enter trades at anything other than open or close, I've found this is
the only way to do it.  Unfortunately I also had to learn Excel at the same
time.  My problem is finding the best exit system to apply.  I've
found that most would max out at an average 8-10% profit.  Stop and
reverse seems to work minimally well. My next try will be the ATR Ratchet as
spelled out by The Traders Club.

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From:
  owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
  Behalf Of Gen & HerveSent: Friday, September 07, 2001 4:38
  PMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: Larry
  Williams' "Volatility Breakout System"
  The code is rather easy to write but you should first answer
  the few questions equis was asking as they are very relevant. you also need to
  decide on the filter (ADX or CCI?) as Equis, in their answer only consider the
  ADX. Also with Metastock you won't be able to enter at the exact price
  therefore you have to decide if you want to enter at the open, close, high or
  low of either the signal day (or bar) or the next one.
  Herve
  <BLOCKQUOTE
  style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
    -----Original Message-----From:
    Nick Channon <<A
    href="mailto:nick.channon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>nick.channon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>To:
    metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <<A
    href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Date:
    Saturday, 8 September 2001 12:11Subject: Larry Williams'
    "Volatility Breakout System"
    Hi,

    I'm writing to ask for assistance from any of you guru
    code-writers out there.

    I wrote to Equis support to ask if they could provide me
    with the necessary formulas for Larry Williams' "Volatility Breakout
    System". I provided them with a description which I found on the web
    (reproduced below). Equis wrote back with the message below. What I need to
    know is:

    1) Have Equis come up with accurate English-language
    descriptions? (Any Williams experts out there? I do not have the knowledge
    to judge the accuracy.)
    2) Can anyone save me $60 and benefit other group members
    also by taking up the challenge to code relevant explorations, indicators,
    experts etc.?

    There follows the description found on the web, and the
    reply from Equis.

    Cheers
    Nick

    **************************
    DESCRIPTION FOUND ON WEB
    As far as we are aware, the early groundwork for volatility-based
    tradingsystems was laid by Larry Williams in the early 1970's. He sold
    at leastthree systems based on the same technique, each at successively
    higherprices (one of them was called the Million Dollar System). Welles
    Wilder, inhis 1978 book New Concepts in Technical Trading Systems,
    reiterated theessential principles, as did Perry Kaufman in Commodity
    Trading Systems andMethods.After Williams a number of vendors
    sold systems based on the method, thebest known of which is probably the
    Volatility Breakout System offered byDoug Bry of Lakewood, Colorado.
    Anyone who is interested in reproducingand/or testing any of these
    volatility based systems should be aware of avery reasonably priced
    software package, Steve Notis' Trader&#8217;s Powerkit,that incorporates most,
    if not all, of the trading logic of the systems thatsold for many
    thousands of dollars.The Basics - Measuring VolatilityThe
    volatility-based trading systems all use the concept of range to
    definethe extent of recent market movement. The simplest definition of
    range isthe distance from high to low of any given time period. This is
    usually aday, but it could be a week or a month or even an intraday
    period measuredin minutes.This simple definition of range works
    fine most of the time, but it doesn'ttake into account days of extreme
    price movement. Limit days, for example,may have a very narrow range,
    but the market is obviously very volatile andvolatility is increasing.
    Similarly, a day when there is a gap opening andthe day's trading takes
    place outside the prior day's range is an example ofincreasing
    volatility, even if the actual range of the day is lessthan that of the
    prior day.Wilder recognized this problem and defined the True Range
    (TR) as thegreatest of the
    following:        1.
    The distance from today's high to today's
    low.        2.   The
    distance from yesterday's close to today's
    high.        3.   The
    distance from yesterday's close to today's low.By itself, the True
    Range is still just an isolated number. To make itmeaningful, we must
    take a number of past days and find the mean, giving usan Average True
    Range (ATR). This is a direct measurement of marketvolatility. If the
    ATR is increasing, the market is becoming more volatile.If the ATR is
    decreasing, the market is becoming less volatile.How many days to use to
    produce the "best" ATR is a matter of conjecture.Wilder's original
    volatility formula (to be explained later) uses 14 days,but most of the
    modern system sellers have optimized this variable and foundthat
    anywhere from 2 to 9 days was better. The most profitable (as measuredby
    Futures Truth) of these systems, the Volatility Breakout System,
    normallyuses only two days.How the Volatility Systems
    WorkAll of the popular volatility-based trading systems work on the
    principlethat a breakout or price spike outside of the recent Range or
    Average TrueRange is significant and should be used as a point at which
    to enter themarket. For example, let us say that the ATR for the last
    five days in theNYSE Composite futures is 1.00 points. We would be
    interested in a pricemove that is a percentage, say 150%, of the ATR
    from the prior day's close.This means that we would be buying or selling
    if prices moved 150% x 1.00,or 1.50 points. If the prior day's close was
    190.00, we would buy at 191.50or sell short at 188.50.The two
    variables of the system
    are:        1) the number of days
    used to find the ATR        2) the
    percent move from the prior day's close that constitutes avalid
    breakout.Most of the system vendors and the presently available
    software rely onoptimization to decide which values to be used for each
    variable.As you may have deduced, the basic volatility breakout
    system is a reversalsystem that is always in the market. Each day after
    the close, calculate theATR, and then multiply it by the percent move
    necessary to trigger a trade.Add the result to the close, and you will
    get the point at which a buy willbe triggered the next day. Subtract the
    result from the close, and you willget the point at which a sell will be
    triggered. Enter both orders the nextday and you are in
    business.Comments and VariationsOne of the significant
    strategies of the basic system is that since you areeither long or
    short, there is no neutral area. The risk on any one trade issimply the
    difference between the entry point and the reversal point. Ifthey are
    both triggered on the same day or very close in time to oneanother, a
    whipsaw is the obvious result.  Perhaps more importantly, the risk on a
    trade depends entirely onrecent market volatility, which may or may not
    agree with a trader's walletsize or money management techniques.
    However, the market does not care aboutconforming to your money
    management techniques.  If you can not tolerate thehistorical
    volatility and potential drawdown of a certain stock or futuresmarket,
    then you should trade smaller lots or mini-contracts.Good trading
    systems are designed first to make money, and then, onlysecondly, to
    make the process as comfortable as possible by smoothing outpotential
    drawdowns. These two goals are always at odds.  Less risk
    (e.g.tighter stops) always produces less profit.  There is a limit
    to howcomfortable you can make a system and still show a
    profit.Another interesting aspect of volatility systems is that the
    entry point andthe reversal point will move away from each other if
    short-term volatilityincreases. It is easy to see how this could happen:
    the market moves, therange increases, and the stops are positioned
    farther and farther away fromeach other. This might tend to reduce
    whipsaws, but it can also increase theinitial risk on a trade after the
    trade has been entered.Volatility breakout systems are trend
    following systems.  They are notdesigned for short term scalping
    for limited objective trading.  They aredesigned to get in on the
    really big moves and stick with them until theend.  As such it is
    necessary to expand the stops when the market heats up &#8211;even if that
    means increasing your initial stop.  The alternative is to bethrown
    out of a strongly developing move and then being faced with thedifficult
    task of finding a low-risk re-entry point.  The stronger the moveis
    the harder it will be to get back in, because a pull-back may not
    occuruntil it&#8217;s too late to catch the bulk of profits.  Therefore
    the best policyis to let the market determine the optimal placement of
    stops.Professionals trade many markets concurrently to achieve a
    smoother overallequity and reduce drawdown.Suggestions on
    Making It Work - FiltersThere is no question that they should always
    be in the right direction whena market is trending with enough
    volatility to be worth trading at all. Thereal difficulty, common to
    most trend-following approaches, is whipsaws whenthe markets have no
    trend and low volatility.Over a long period, markets will be
    alternately stagnant and dynamic withmost of the time spent in the
    stagnant mode. Similar to moving averagesystems, a volatility system set
    up for a trending market will not work wellin the sideways
    periods.Obviously, a filter is needed. We can suggest several.
    First, it is possibleto cut down the considerable initial risk on each
    trade by creating aneutral zone between long and short entry
    points.The simplest way to do this is to set a percentage risk stop
    that is smallerthan the percentage of the ATR that triggers the entry.
    For instance, in ourearlier example we had an ATR of 100 point in the
    NYSE Composite, and wewould buy on a move upward of 150% of this, or 150
    points.A tighter stop could be set by subtracting a smaller
    percentage of the ATRfrom the entry point. We are afraid that anything
    less than 100% of the ATRmight be classified as too close and subject to
    almost random whipsaws, butusing a number like 125% still gives a
    tighter stop level than our reversalpoint. If the risk stop is
    triggered, the system is now neutral until thesell reversal at 150% is
    hit, or until a new buy entry is reached.Another possible
    improvement might be to avoid trades when a market isacting poorly,
    especially when the volatility is unusually low. There maywell be
    'windows' of optimum profitability for the ATR of each commoditywhere it
    is within acceptable boundaries, neither too high or too low. It issafe
    to assume that a stagnant market with a relatively small range
    willresult in losing trades, while a more volatile market will tend to
    be moreprofitable. The usual impulse is to re-optimize when the markets
    becomestagnant, but it might be more profitable in the long run to sit
    outcompletely during the quiet markets and wait until the ATR becomes
    more inline with what your system normally needs to be
    successful.A third possibility is to add an external filter,
    something that identifiesconditions that must be met before a breakout
    is taken. There are at leasttwo possibilities for this among readily
    available technical studies:DMI/ADX and CCI. Our regular readers are
    aware that we often mention that anupturn in Wilder's ADX signals that a
    market is trending. Try tradingvolatility breakouts only when the 18-day
    ADX is rising. (Up-Down Volatilityand Percent V serve a similar
    function).Similarly, a 20-period CCI based on either monthly or
    weekly signals willalso tell you to what extent a market is trending
    over the longer term. Lookfor rapid acceleration of the CCI from its
    null or zero line; if thiscondition exists, the market is probably
    moving rapidly enough to makevolatility based trading highly profitable.
    (CCI and Bollinger Bands aredifferent views of the same study
    formula.)"

    END

    ********************
    REPLY FROM EQUIS

    "Nick,I have read the article you
    supplied and have pulled from it the followingconditions.  Please
    read them and verify they are what you want to usefor your entry and
    exit conditions.Entry conditions:18-period ADX is
    risingtoday's high is some percent of the ATR greater than yesterday's
    high (for buys ) ORtoday's low is some percent of the ATR lower than
    yesterday's low ( forshorts )Exit conditions:an entry
    condition in the other directions ( a short signal when long ora buy
    signal when short ) ORthe price moves a percentage of the ATR against
    the position you are in.The article did not give set values for
    several of the factors listedabove.  These are:1) the
    percentage of the ATR required for the entry signal2) the number of
    periods used in calculating the ATR3) the percentage of the ATR used for
    the stopDo you have values you want to be used, or would you rather the
    systembe written to optimize on these values.  If you want it to
    optimizebased on these values, I will need you to specify the range you
    wantthem to cover (ie. check ATR time periods 2 through 28).I
    need you to verify and respond to the above information because we
    arenot licensed financial consultants.  Writing trading systems can
    beconsidered offering financial advise so we err on the side of
    caution.After you have responded, I can most likely provide the system
    to youwithin a day or two.  The fee for this system will be around
    $60, unlesssome unforeseen technical difficulties
    arise."

    END