Re: So this, too, is impossible?

At 03:07 AM 8/19/01 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>I've been trying to write a simple daytrading system using daily bars.
>The system goes long at the open when the open crosses above Mov(O,5,S), - I
>checked "enter at the open" in Tester's options. So far, so good. But next,
>I wanted to exit long positions at this very day's close (so "Exit at the
>close" and "0 delay" in Tester's options, and I just copied
>cross(O,Mov(O,5,S)) as an Exit Long rule).

As pointed out in recent posts on this topic there appear to be some
limitations in this area.

The best way to test MS capability is to simply use 1 in the Enter Long and
Exit Long windows.

To space trades you could enter on DayOfWeek()=2 or something like that and
leave the Close Long True by entering a 1 in that window.

You can however test your ideas pretty will and without limitations using
indicators. For example, this will show you your Equity for a same-day open
to close system:

  if("YourLongEntryRule",Cum(CLOSE-OPEN),0);

It appears that since MS only executes the formula one time on each day and
it can only Exit a long position if it is in one, the system tester cannot
Enter and Exit the same position on the same day.

Good luck,
Herman.