Re: money management

Position sizing is an attempt to compute the optimum number of securities
to buy or sell in a particular trade in a particular system.  "Optimum"
being the position that maximizes overall return, without exposing the
trader to too much risk.  Most use intuition (that's the polite way of
saying 'guess') and it is often their downfall, while others use the rules of
thumb or some mathematical process.

A specific example is the old saw that says, risk no more than 2% of
your capital on any single trade.  This is just an example, not my
recommendation.  Let's say the biggest loss a particular system
generated during testing was $10 per share.  If a trader chooses to risk
2% on every trade using this system, a $50,000 account would
suggest the trader buy or short ($50,000 x 2% / $10) 100 shares in
the first trade.  Assume the first trade yielded a profit of $1,500 and
the account now stood at $51,500.  The second trade would be
($51,500 x 2% / $10) 103 shares.  Now let's say that trade resulted in
a $1,030 loss and the account was left standing at $50,470.  The third
trade would be ($50,470 x 2% / $10) 101 shares.  Odd lots,
obviously, will cause higher transaction costs and there is no guarantee
that the $10 largest loss in the past will necessarily be the largest loss
in the future.

Ralph Vince has three books, now, I think.  His first was Portfolio
Management Formulas.  His second, The Mathematics of Money
Management, summarized in about 60 pages the material in his first
book and then expanded into several other areas, some of which made
my head hurt.  I have not read his third book.  I would certainly
recommend at least the first two, but none are for the mathematically
challenged.  In addition to Van Tharp's book, another that comes to
mind is Ryan Jones' "The Trading Game."  Personally, I didn't like
Ryan Jones' book, but others swear by it.