RE: money management

Hi Richard,
Good brief! Allow me a couple of remarks:

1. As I only trade with our own money - and with money that I can afford to
lose if the worst comes to the worst, I take a considerably higher risk per
trade than you propose, i.e. 4% per trade. You as a professional trader
have of course to stick to a considerably lower percentage.

2. Risk of ruin @ 4%: If we assume a realistic loss of 6% because of
brokerage and slippage, this means that trading capital is halved after the
11th. consecutive bad trade. Insofar as FUD generally reaches menacing
levels after the 7th bad trade in a row I consider this as an acceptable
worst case scenario.

3. On the other hand, as seven bad trades can (and do) easily happen to any
trading system I cannot emphasize enough that everybody should consider if
he or she can live with a nn% meltdown of capital. Have a look at this table:
Loss/Trade      1%      2%      3%      4%      5%      6%      ...     10%
Remaing Cap     93%     86%     80%     75%     69%     64%     ...     47%

4. As you correctly note there is a multitude of ways to find a stop.
Therefore I propose a slightly different order of proceeding:
         A. Find your stock and entry level
         B. Determine the stop level by whatever method you prefer: ATR,
Hist. Vola, Channels etc
              If that's too complicated a simple maximum percentage drop
will do handily as well, eg 4% for defensive stocks
         C. Now you know your (theoretical) maximum loss per share
         D. Add between 2% and 5% for brokerage & slippage
         E. Compute the number of shares to buy as delineated by Richard.

5. Never forget that the best plans of mice and men can be upset by one of
the all too common market desasters; eg. Bayer which last week lost over
20% in less than 30 minutes thereby raising traders' cholesterine levels to
new peaks.

Happy Trading,Jan Willem Roberts

PS Re. worst case scenario, here the unforgotten Robert Heinlein has a gem
of advice for all of us:
"When in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!"