Re: Excellent web book on Money Management

Ross:

> Question: does he have the correct formula for the Kelly Criterion in
> Chapter 7?   Kelly % =  A - [(1-A)/B]

Yes and no.  It is correct, but  the Kelly formula was created assuming
only two possible outcomes  --  a win and a loss of equal size (a
Bernoulli distribution).  Trading results more closely resemble the bell-
shaped Normal distribution, albeit with fatter tails.  Because of this, the
Kelly formula was modified to use average wins and average losses.
But, since these are only approximations of the distribution, your bet
size will not be optimal.  You could be risking too much or too little.

> I already have a couple of Ralph Vince's books.  He is tough to read
> and his books aren't written in a "here is how to apply it" way.

I agree, but you'd be better off reading them again.  And again, if you
are still having trouble with it.  Even if you choose not to use his
Optimal f method, you will be better prepared for assessing other
money management techniques.  Attached is an Excel spreadsheet
created by Futures Magazine for computing Optimal f.  This used to
be posted on their download site, but I can't find it there now.
Personally, I tore the spreadsheet apart and rebuilt it to suit my own
style and so I could get a better understanding of the formulas.