Re: A newbie's first question

Bill,

Welcome to the list!

As others have suggested, probably the best way for you to segregate and
Explore your open positions and your "other" universe of stocks is to
use separate folders.  A neat feature in the Explorer results is to
'Control-Click' those tickers in your exploration results that you have
decided to take positions in.  Then by right clicking on the selection,
you'll see the option to "Copy security...."  In the dialogue box that
pops up once you select this, there's a place to check off if you'd like
to delete the source security.  This would be an easy way to move your
selections into a new folder--even possibly the longs into one folder
and the shorts into another.  Then one day later, you can run
explorations on your long positions, short positions, and all the others
by choosing different folders.

Another possible approach would be to use the Experts feature.  As you
view the charts from your Exploration, you can right click on the chart
and save it into your Favorites folder (or Long and Short subfolders if
you like).  If you have written some trading signals like the 5/15/40
MAs and applied them to the charts in an Expert, you could just scroll
through your positions each day in the Favorites folder and visually
inspect the price/volume activity as well as your systems signals.  This
is an alternative if you prefer to 'eyeball' the charts.  (This is not
the preferred solution if you carry 200 or 300 positions at a
time.....<grin>)

Dave Nadeau
Fort Collins, CO