Re: VIRUS ALERT

  • To: "MetaStock listserver" <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: VIRUS ALERT
  • From: "Glen Wallace" <gcwallace@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:15:11 -0800

Brian:

> But the 'restricted sites" settings only effect those sites designated as
> such on that panel, no? Wouldn't you have to know the site that was
> going to send you the virus for this to do any good? Am I missing
> something?

Outlook Express allows you to use the Restricted Sites settings for all
e-mail.  If you want to use the Restricted Sites settings in Internet
Explorer, yes, you do have to designate each website address as
restricted.

> If I were to set all the "Internet" panel options to disable I would
> think I might be safer but it would make for difficult browsing.

Yes, it would be safer but more difficult.  For the "Internet Zone," I
have custom settings to disable a lot of the less secure actions, and
several (such as active scripting) set to prompt for permission.  Kind
of a pain, but what's a person to do.

> For a while I had just the "prompt before storing cookies" option
> because I didn't like all the stuff piling up in my hard drive, but it
> made me too crazy with the prompt coming up all the time. Any
> ideas?

A happy medium might be to disable cookies that are stored on your
computer, but permit or prompt for per-session cookies (which are
not stored).  At least the snoops will not get an ongoing history of
your browsing habits that way.

Glen