Swap file and memory setting...

>>>Could one of you tech wizards that still knows how to talk English, fill
us
in on this?
Why does Windows use swap before RAM is used up?
How do you know this?
Why should we care?
Thanks
Chris<<<

1) I am not a tech wizard.
2) I am not sure why Windows uses the swap file before the Ram is filled but
I suspect it is left over from when 4-8 MBs used to be a lot of RAM.
3) I know it is happening because I added RAM to bring my system to 512 MB.
When I used Norton SystemWorks to monitor memory and Swapfile usage I found
that Windows only used about half of my memory. I started searching the
MSoft Knowledge Base to find a switch for this. I found it and it works.
4) You should care because the slowest part of your system by a huge
magnitude is disk drive access. The more you can keep in RAM w/out needing
the disk the higher the speed of your system by a huge margin.

neo