Re: Heat Map explained

  • To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Heat Map explained
  • From: "Walter Lake" <wlake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:09:14 -0800

Hi Barry ... no thanks to me, we owe all of our thanks to Gitanshu for
making this available.

======

To those who wrote about seasonality. In addition to the X-11 processes ...
here's what the "Help Index" in KyPlot says (a free "monster" stats program)
http://www.qualest.co.jp/Download/KyPlot/kyplot_e.htm

"... Time Series Decomposition: applies a seasonal adjustment model given by
Kitagawa and Gersch (ref. 1) to data.  A time series is decomposed into
trend, seasonal, autoregressive and noise components.  Trading day factors
can be also incorporated.  State space modeling and Kalman filter are used
and parameters are estimated by maximum likelihood method. ..."

Sample File #12: "12Timser-S1" in KyPlot gives the following method:

"... Example 2: Time series decomposition and interpolation

The "Time Series Decomposition" in the [Math] - [Time Series Analysis] menu
decomposes time series data into components based on the model given by
Kitagawa and Gersch (ref. 1)

Procedures
1) Log transformation of the data.
  Since the variability of the data increases for larger values,
  logarithmic transformation is applied to the data.
  a) Select the data BU4:BU149; Pressing Ctrl key, select the output cell
BV4.
  b) Open [Data] - [Transform] menu.
  c) Select "Base-10 logarithm" (and determine the output starting cell).
  d) Click "OK".
2) Calculate AR coefficients by maximum likelihood method and make
prediction.
  a) Select the data BW4:BW149.
  b) Open the [Math] - [Time Series Analysis] menu.
  c) Select "Time Series Decomposition".
  d) Check "Trend" and set "Order"=1; check "Seasonal";
   check "AR Order" and set "Order"=2; check "Trading Day Effect".
  e) Input initial values.
  e.g. Set "Variance Ratios" for "Trend", "Seasonal" and "AR" =10.
  f) Click "Start Calculation". ..."

=========

This example is completely worked out for you in detail. It is a very large
spreadsheet and chartsheet. Note the pre-processing of the data. See
Ruggiero for more info on pre-processing data.

Best regards

Walter