Re: Internet security (a bit to feed your security paranoia ...)

I am not even close to being knowledgeable about this, but Windows has
many "holes" in it other than TCP/IP file and printer sharing. After
reading the last few days about this topic, I am surprised that someone
hasn't yet succeeded in shutting down most unprotected networks and any
unprotected pc running Microsoft windows in
the US or anyplace else for that matter.

You might consider an application like BlackICE Defender from
http://www.networkice.com  . I found out about it from PC Magazine and
have been using it for several days and am very surprised at the amount
of system scanning that goes on - some of which is coming from other
customers on my ISP.  BlackICE Defender acts as a firewall and port
defender amongst other things and does tracing to find out where the
scanning is coming from and puts the information in "evidence files" for
reporting to ISP's. There is an interesting page to read about how
BlackICE functions at:

http://www.netice.com/Advice/Support/KB/q000005/default.htm

I am also looking at "Sonic Wall" from www.sonicwall.com which is a
rather elegant solution instead of other very expensive alternatives.

Frank