Re: Increasing the MetaStock(R) Formula Language with MetaStock 7

  • To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Increasing the MetaStock(R) Formula Language with MetaStock 7
  • From: "Walter Lake" <wlake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 05:05:09 -0800

Well put Daniel.

Although the learning curve is steep, I've found VBA programming much easier
than expected.

There are lots of good books ... many sites are available for help ... and
there are a group of people in the "MVP Excel" program who are amazing
programmers that offer free advice. Hooking up with one of them is
invaluable.

As I get into the coding, variations in coding quickly come to the surface,
i.e.: ... it's amazing how two versions of chart creation code can run at
such
different speeds.

An edited version of Walkenbach's code in his programming book takes about
one second to create the following chart:

Sub CreateEntryExitPriceChart()

    Charts.Add
    ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsNewSheet, Name:="EntryExitPrice"
    With ActiveChart
        .SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Data").range("C1:C15,E1:E15"),
PlotBy:= _
        xlColumns
        .ChartType = xlLine
        .HasTitle = False
        .SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=Data!C1"
        .SeriesCollection(1).Name = "=""EntryPrice"""
        .SeriesCollection(2).XValues = "=Data!C1"
        .SeriesCollection(2).Name = "=""ExitPrice"""
        .Legend.Position = xlTop
        .SizeWithWindow = True
    End With
End Sub

The same edited code from the WROX VBA coding book is suppose to be "more
elegant" but takes a "progress meter" to measure it's creation time <G>:

Sub EntryExitPriceChart()

Dim Cht As Chart

Set Cht = Charts.Add
With Cht
    .SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Data").range("C:C,E:E"), PlotBy:= _
        xlColumns
    .ChartType = xlLine
    .HasTitle = False
    .SeriesCollection(1).XValues = "=Data!C1"
    .SeriesCollection(1).Name = "=""EntryPrice"""
    .SeriesCollection(2).XValues = "=Data!C1"
    .SeriesCollection(2).Name = "=""ExitPrice"""
    .Legend.Position = xlTop
    .SizeWithWindow = True
    End With
End Sub