RE: Increasing the MetaStock(R) Formula Language with MetaStock 7

  • To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Increasing the MetaStock(R) Formula Language with MetaStock 7
  • From: "Jeff Ledermann" <j.ledermann@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 14:17:03 -0800

Don,

The uptake of EOD V7.0 will depend critically on Equis pricing policy
for the upgrade from 6.5 (and how badly they botch up the upgrade).
I would guess relatively few users have not upgraded to 6.52 and the
same will happen with 7.0 if it doesn't cost "too much" (and works well).
The availability of add-ons will also be an incentive to upgrade (you may
be the first, but I doubt the last person to think about doing this).

Personally I'd favour the approach of integrating the add-on.  I think it is
important to be able to chart a system to verify that it works as one
expects, visually inspect where it fails and then tinker with it.  This has
significant ramifications.

If you were to develop a standalone program then it would be important that
it's functions/indicators mirrored MS built-ins since otherwise there would
be no way to write the indicators to visualise what it's doing and furthermore
there would be no way to write an expert to display the buy and sell signals
once one had developed ones holy grail.  This problem goes away with an
add-on as Equis specifically make the point that the add-on functionality is
available across all areas of MS.

I guess your challenge is to write an add-on that's so compelling that
we'll all want to upgrade to V7.0 to use it <g>.

Cheers
Jeff.