Re: good computers

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Lionel and Gail Issen wrote:

> Guy is correct.  Unless you are reasonably handy with tools and understand
> the operating system at a deeper level than the average user, it is better
> to buy than to build.

You can usually go to a clone shop and have them custom build the machine
to your specs -- here in Atlanta they don't charge extra for assembling
the system, and a couple will teach you how to build it in their shop.

> There is a build it yourself sig in Houston.  I attended a few meetings and
> found out that Guy's opnion about saving money is correct.

To me, it isn't so much about saving a few bucks as it is having exactly
the components I want in the system. You don't tell Compaq what brand of
motherboard to use and you will probably find their onboard network interface
is not supported under Linux. The mouse and keyboard are the primary
interfaces you work with, but you don't get to choose the ones you like,
etc. Same for video, if you need high performance 3D you may end up
replacing the card that comes with the system. So even if you spend that
same amount of money on the Dell, etc. initially, you may end up spending
much more to get it to your specs.

Cheers,

Jim