Building Blocks - Trend Channels

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content='"MSHTML 5.00.0910.1309"' name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Last week I talked about how I use
trend channels to set targets and stops to tell me when to exit a
position.&nbsp; This week I'm going to go back to the beginning to discuss how I
use trend channels to tell me when to enter a position.&nbsp; I'd appreciate any
comments pro or con on this methodology.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I've come to depend more and more on
trend channels as my primary technical analysis tool.  The theory of trend
channel investing is simple.  First you have to construct the trend channel.
After that is done the rest is easy.  For up trend channels you open a long
position right after a stock bounces off the bottom of a channel and close the
position when it hits the top of a channel.  Vice versa for down trend channels.
 I treat horizontal channels like up trend channels for trading
purposes.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Of course, I expand on this simple
methodology slightly &lt;G&gt;.  First I construct short, intermediate, and long
term channels on all my charts.&nbsp; My definition of short, intermediate and
long term is flexible.  In general short term is days to up to a few months,
intermediate term is a few months to over a year, and long term is years.  I
like to open a position in the direction of the long term trend channel when an
intermediate term trend channel is broken and the stock reverses in the
direction of the long term trend.  Since this is a fairly rare occurrence, my
secondary method which occurs much more frequently and is, therefore, the one I
use the most, is to enter a position when the short term trend channel is broken
and the stock reverses in direction of the intermediate term trend
channel.&nbsp; In both cases, the reversal is a better buy signal when it occurs
in conjunction with a bounce off the bottom of the longer term trend
channel.&nbsp; Once a stock has reversed its trend, I construct a new short term
trend channel in the direction of the longer term trend.&nbsp; I use this new
Short Term Trend Channel to set my targets and stops as I described last week if
I entered a position on the breakout of the old channel.&nbsp; If I missed
entering the position at the breakout, there are additional entry points every
time the stock bounces off the bottom of the new short term trend channel.  <BR>
   &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; As you can see, using trend channels for
signaling when to enter a new position is straight forward and simple.&nbsp; The
trick is how to objectively and consistently construct the trend channels.&nbsp;
For short term up trend channels I use the Standard Deviation Channel built into
MetaStock. I start the channel immediately to the left of the lowest low in the
data being considered and end immediately to the right of the highest high in
the time frame.  I set the deviation at 2 to determine the targets and at 1 to
determine the stops.&nbsp; I usually leave it at 1 for looking at the charts
since the stop is more important than the target  I extend the channel to the
right.  Anytime a new high is hit, I'll drag the right end of the channel
immediately to the right of that high.  After a few months with at least two
good reactions, I switch to Trader Vic type trend lines to construct my short
term channels.  I only use Trader Vic type trend lines for intermediate and long
term channels.&nbsp; I like the Trader Vic methodology much better than using a
standard deviation channel, but it gives many more false signals than standard
deviation channels do for very short term channels without any major reactions
in the data.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For a Trader Vic up trend line, start
with the lowest low in the time frame being considered.  Draw a line from that
low to a low before the highest high in the time frame such that the line
doesn't pass through any data.  It's important that you don't draw the line
through any data or to a low that is past the highest high in the timeframe.  A
down trend line is just the mirror image using the highs in the time frame.  To
construct the up trend channel, extend the line to the right, then draw a
parallel line through the most extreme high in the time frame such that the line
doesn't intersect any other data points.  This is easy with MetaStock.  You can
hold the CTRL key down, then hold the left mouse key down once you are on the
original line and drag a parallel line to where ever you want it.  You can do
the down trend channels in a similar manner.  Horizontal channels are the
easiest.  Just drop a horizontal line on the highest high and lowest low in the
time frame.  My final touch is to change the line color and style: blue and
dashed for short term channels;&nbsp; red and dashed for intermediate term
channels; and magenta and dashed for long term channels.<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; That's all there is to it, what do you
think?&nbsp; Does it make sense?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Jim <BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>