FW: TC2000 vs QP2

True.  Not an issue for me as I don't use either for charting.  With GET and
TFP+ reading QP2 natively I use those first since I don't need to export to
MS.  I am going to MS as a final step in my analysis these days....

> (1) List management - The user interface is more elegant in TC2K
> V4, however
> the
> lists are not easily shareable with other TA tools. QP2 CSV can
> be imported in
> many.

definately good UI for lists. needs import/export though to be real useful.

> (2) Scan scripts - QP 2 programming language is from far more
> powerful than
> TC2K
> V4 personal criteria. Fundamentals access is very limited in TC2K.

> (3) Data depth - QP 2 has a limit of 2200 records (< 9 years).
> TC2K V4 seems
> unlimited !

its adequate at the moment but will need to be expanded. Maybe the NEW DB
format fixes this problem.

> (4) Not traded day data convention export - QP 2 enforces a fake record
> (OHLC=C(previous) and V=0). TC2K V4 follows same convention as Equis,
> i-Soft : No trading = No record. It is therefore difficult to merge QP 2
> exported
> data with other sources (eg need of more history). It is also
> disturbing to
> migrate
> from other sources to QP 2 (signals are shifted; positions of securities
> under scrutiny will possibly change !!!).

Interesting Point.  I guess its how your perceive it.  I think I like the
fact that QP shows as you say fake bars.  Its gives you visual indication
that stock didn't trade. With The 0 vol days removed. The picture of volume
versus time would be distorted with respect to reality.  Example: what is
you look at the thirty day moving average on volume in MS.  If the 0 vol
days are removed then your really not looking at thirty trading days but the
last thirty days the stock actually traded.  I don't think I like that. What
do others think?  Maybe gary could add a switch to do it either way.

> (5) Historical data CD provided - TC2K data goes to 1984 !!! I've
> not got the
> time
> to run extensive TC2K tests yet, but the data seems very clean.
>
> (6) Daily data update speed - QP2 is damned fast. TC2K V4
> (Internet)... I just
> don't know yet. All my connections failed. Worden pointed at
> Spring overload
> conditions. I hope to be able to fill the gap with historical
> data before the
> 1-month
> trial is over.

When I tried it initially it worked but they had some problems in the last
month.  QP2 now has 2 intrenet download sites which their downloader tries
automatically.  One east coast and one west coast.

> (7) Historical CD/Daily update integration - I do have a major
> problem with QP2
> (support was informed). Many stocks do show a gap - data vertical
> shift - at
> the transition date (31 Mar 1998 Data CD).

If true this needs to be addressed. Did they confirm. If not post some
symbols and I'll check.  Hopefully the new Single DB format that starts
shipping next week will eliminate this.

> (8) Programmer Library - QP 2 has a very performant DLL, TC2K V4 offer is
> a quite slow VB ActiveX. Also, QP 2 does offer access to all security data
> structures (base info, prices history, splits, fundamentals, ...)
> while TC2K
> V4 doesn't (access is restricted to base info & prices history).
>
> All in all, this is a Metastock list, the QP2 service is a better
> features/price
> ratio. I sincerely hope QP2 will fix (4) and (7) very quickly.

me too.

> PS for users who do not want to pay SI fees or do prefer e-mail lists
> to Web forums. QP has opened an e-mail list since a few days. Go to
> http://quotesplus.listbot.com.

and I justed started another today. Didn't realize there was one already.
I check that one out too...

Sean