Re: Futures mag wars

_____________________
-----Original Message-----
From: Walter Lake <wlake@xxxxxxxxx>
To: metastock bulletin board <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, December 08, 1998 8:04 PM
Subject: Futures mag wars

>Congratulations to "Von Hef" for a clean sparse coded formula.
>
>The formulas look the different, how is it that  they formulas fits exactly
>over-top-of of each other when applied to a stock?
>
>I find it interesting that Futures Mag. is blamed for MS' lack of
>pro-activeness in providing formulas to accompany their monthly articles.
>Maybe it's earier to spend big bucks on full page ads in the magazine than
>to spent brain power on a few formulas.
>
>Best regards
>
>Walter

Hello Walter,
 The main difference between my sparse and the one posted on the
MetaStock web page is how the "PREV" function is used. MetaStock's
use of this function is used with an "if" condition:

 If(Cum(1)<pds,C,PREV))

This condition states...... If the first number "x" of bars on the chart is
less than
"pds" (which is the variable for the look-back period),  then to use the
closing value,
else it will use the PREVious value of the function.  My spars always uses
the
PREVious value of the functions........which starts at "0" and works its way
up the scale.
That is why it had a large scaling curve from the first of the
chart.......... I like there way
much better and have already incorporated it into another formula!

 Perhaps your right about "MS' lack of pro-activness" I never thought about
it being their
responsibility. I guess since I heard that Futures Magazine had "ties" with
Omega
( just rumors I know), I just presumed it was the magazine leaving us out.
Hmmm.......
perhaps I dropped my subscription a little too hastily? Anywise I am
receiving
"Technical Analysis Of Stocks and Commodity's" and I will see if they are
any better.
Thanks for your Kind words.

  Best wishes,
               Adam Hefner.