Re: Building Blocks - Narrowing the Universe of Potential Stocks

Jim,

You have asked for suggestions or comments on why we would believe that
what you are doing is wrong. So let me comment.

Your objective, as I understand it, is to reduce your stock universe
based on fundamental criteria  in order to apply technical trading
techniques. Obviously, in doing so, you want to increase your technical
trading odds.

While I do not think that fundamentals are useful in short term (a few
days max) trading, I do agree that the combination of fundamental
criteria and technical indicators is a key to better medium to long term
trades. The problem is to gauge the fundamental criteria you want to
use. Market Capitalisation, Price-to-Earnings, Price-to-Book,
Price-to-CashFlow, Price-to-Sales, Dividends yields, Earnings-per-share,
Return-on-Equity have documented individual significance, but optimising
their combination, if at all possible, is not an easy matter.

It is a fact that all indicators - fundamental and technical - have
rather low predictive value. Their correlation with future stock prices
is in fact extremely low.  In that case, it can easily be shown that
increasing the number of indicators will as a rule reduce and
effectively cancel the value of the prediction.

While you can reject a number of securities on the basis of fundamentals
and additional technical criteria such as high volume or price growth, I
cannot see any way to rank your selection depending on a multiplicity of
criteria, as suggested in your note. Perhaps it would be useful to
clearly separate the process of security rejection in a first step, and
then select the securities to include in your database on the basis of a
single preferred indicator in another.

Best regards,

André Scholberg