Re: No QP2 / metastock calculation differences

In a message dated 11/23/98 7:52:53 PM Pacific Standard Time, jgelfand@xxxxxxx
writes:
> I have noticed a calculation problem which I would like
>  someone to verify before I contact QP2.

Hi, Ed:  If you use the DaysToLoad function in your MACD scans, you'll get
values identical to those in Metastock. The MACD values depend on the
underlying EMA's, which depend on the number of days loaded. As it says in the
QP help file under MACD, "Because the value of this function for any specified
day depends on values from previous days, you can use the DaysToLoad function
with MACD() to specify the number of days of data to use in calculating the
underlying EMAs."

Add this line to your scan:

DaysToLoad=500;

Once you've added the line, you'll find that the values are equal to those in
Metastock.

Second, make sure you set the MACD periods in the scan so that they're the
same as those in the QP charts. You can set the periods with a line like this:

Set MACD = 8,17,9;

Third, make sure you're using exponential moving averages in your Metastock
MACD formulas:

period1:=8;
period2:=17;
period3:=9;
Mov(C,period1,E) - Mov(C,period2,E);
Mov((Mov(C,period1,E) - Mov(C,period2,E)),period3,

Brooke