Re: Explorations for Mutual Funds

Tim,
You might want to check out the Monocle program as an adjunct to mutual fund
trading/investment.  It's unique -- to me at least -- in that it provides
spreadsheet like rankings of funds (in addition to price charts) on a rich
variety of criteria.  It does "screen" and does provide "mechanical" trading
system capability.

I just started using the program recently -- still in the evaluation stage
actually -- but if you're doing funds, I think the ranking facility is
neat.    Also allows backtesting of trading systems; less sophisticated than
Metastock, but it can add a perspective of relative performance that would
be more difficult with Metastock.   Haven't tried stocks as yet, but it
could be used for them too.

A couple of sites devoted to Monocle are:

http://www.manhattanlink.com    They sell the program and mutual fund data.

http://www.AchieveProfits.com/Advisors/achieveprofits/  He writes a monthly
letter about ways to use it for trading.

I would be interested in your comments on their approach to fund trading.

Leo