Clutter - maybe we can change the list

<x-html><HTML>
Stan,

<P>Just for the record, I use Netscape Communicator 4.&nbsp; Here's what
the heading looks like on all posts I recieve from the Metastock list:

<P>Subject: Re: Clutter on the list
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 12:13:35 -0500
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; From: <U><FONT COLOR="#3366FF">"Stan Rubenstein"
&lt;stansan@xxxxxxx></FONT></U>
<BR>Reply-To: <U><FONT COLOR="#3333FF">metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</FONT></U>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; To: <U><FONT COLOR="#3333FF">&lt;metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx></FONT></U>

<P>The following elements are underscored, and in blue:
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "Stan Rubenstein"
&lt;stansan@xxxxxxx>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

<P>The ONLY way I can respond to "Stan Rubenstein" is to <B><I>manually</I></B>
enter that email address into a new message.&nbsp; Selecting "respond to
author" or "respond to all" both direct my post back to the list.

<P>The situation on the RT list is different.&nbsp; Here's a heading from
RT:

<P>Subject: Gen: Opens are the most critical part of the day.
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Date:&nbsp; Thu, 19 Nov 1998 21:18:38 -0700
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; From: <U><FONT COLOR="#3333FF">"Brent.........." &lt;........@xxxxxxxx></FONT></U>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; To:&nbsp; <U><FONT COLOR="#3333FF">RealTraders
Discussion Group &lt;realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx></FONT></U>

<P>"Brent......" and "RealTraders....." are underscored and in blue.

<P>On the RT list, if I select "reply to author" the post is directed only
to Brent.&nbsp; If I select "reply to all" the message goes to Brent AND
to the list.

<P>Isn't there a way that the owner of the metastock list could change
this?&nbsp; It might even facilitate communication between people who would
profit from discussing certain matters in public, but would do better discussing
other things "one-on-one."&nbsp; (Such as "Thanks, Paul."; "Good call,
Mike.";&nbsp; "Knock'em dead, Ralph."; or simply "Me too!"&nbsp; Sorry,
couldn't resist.)

<P>Philip
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>the heading of
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Rubenstein wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>THIS NOTE FOR STEVE KARNISH ONLY
<BR>PLEASE DELETE IMMEDIATELY
<BR>(explanation for sending to RT list given below)

<P>Steve you're right. Also on further investigation I
<BR>find that hitting the Reply to Author pulls up the
<BR>metastock @ ms...com which is the list server.
<BR>But your note does not bear your origination
<BR>e-mail address so even if I wanted to reply to
<BR>just you, I can't.
<BR>But your note also prompted me to find out
<BR>that hitting Reply to All doubles the listserver
<BR>address, and now I understand why some notes
<BR>arrive in duplicate, or in the case of CMA
<BR>(author hidden) quadruplicate.
<BR>Thanks again for clueing me in.
<BR>Sorry for bending the eyes of the RT list but
<BR>there was no other way to reply to just you.
<BR>Stan

<P>----------
<BR>> From: Steve Karnish &lt;kernish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<BR>> To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<BR>> Subject: Re: Clutter on the list
<BR>> Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 12:19 PM
<BR>>
<BR>> Thank you Stan.&nbsp; I just hit "reply to author" and I got:
<BR>> metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<BR>> Apparently, replying properly is not as easy as it seems (just like
<BR>> trading).&nbsp; For those of you looking for "one button" solutions...beware.
<BR>>
<BR>> Steve Karnish
<BR>> CCT
<BR>>
<BR>> ----------
<BR>> > From: Stan Rubenstein &lt;stansan@xxxxxxx>
<BR>> > To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<BR>> > Subject: Re: Clutter on the list
<BR>> > Date: Thursday, November 19, 1998 7:40 AM
<BR>> >
<BR>> > I use IE 3.02 and MS Outlook 97. When I open an RT note
<BR>> > I see three icons on top of my screen; Reply to Author,
<BR>> > Reply to All,and Forward.&nbsp; It is simple to hit the first button
<BR>> > with a Thank You and not annoy the rest of the list.
<BR>> > FYI
<BR>> > Stan R.
<BR>> >
<BR>> > ----------
<BR>> > > From: Barry Spreen &lt;bspreen@xxxxxxxx>
<BR>> > > To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<BR>> > > Subject: Re: Clutter on the list
<BR>> > > Date: Wednesday, November 18, 1998 11:15 PM
<BR>> > >
<BR>> > > It might be helpful if everyone included a mailto: in their Sig
file.
<BR>> > > That way it becomes easy to respond directly to the writer and
<BR>> > > bypassing the list.
<BR>> > >
<BR>> > >
<BR>> > > Best