Re: Fidelity Select Energy Services

Lionel,

I find the groups to be a great help and would suggest you pursue doing
this.  It is a problem using Selects since they have such a turnover in
stocks and only give the top ten holdings quarterly.  The groups must have
good correlation to the actual fund or it can be very misleading.  One tends
to forget they are dealing with a surrogate and not the real McCoy.  The
Rydex Sectors show remarkable correlation and are the few changes they make
are easily dealt with.

If you have MetaStock there is a third party program, of which I don't have
the name, that can accomplish taking the top ten holdings and constructing a
Surrogate that is like an Index with O, H, L, C and volume just like a
stock.  I'm sure a phone call to them would produce the name, price etc of
the program.

I use AIQ for this purpose and just import the result daily into MetaStock.
AIQ is excellent in giving reports on Groups and Sectors as to their
Relative Strength, Trend Score etc.

In MetaStock I view Layouts of Money Flow, OBV, and Arms EquiVolume weekly
and daily.  In addition I have a Layout of Relative Strength of the
Surrogates against and Index of all of the Surrogates.  I look at this for
Weekly and Daily.  Weekly is used to pick the Surrogate with the best RS and
Daily to time the buy (in general)  I could use the actual Fund here since
only Price is involved but there is just not enough data.  With Surrogates I
can go back as far as I want for backtesting purposes.

I will post this to the List in case someone may have an interest.  I would
recommend this approach wholeheartedly.  I know this has no direct
application to FastTrack but many members use MetaStock as well.

I got the idea of building Surrogate Groups first from David Vomuth of AIQ,
so it is not original with me.