Re: [amibroker] Amiquote registered version

  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 17:29:10 -0800
  • From: "NW Trader" <ta4charts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] Amiquote registered version

Hi Chris,

You are right, my response was a bit of knee jerk.  For which I apologize to Jackene.  I too failed to read the actual question. I really have no defense, except to note that of late there have been a number of new users who apparently are using unlicensed, cracked versions and so that set me up.  What I wrote certainly does apply to AmiBroker (and the larger issue of intellectual property rights), and I think my response is clear on that. I believe you are also correct that AmiQuote unregistered is included with AB and allows some functionality for downloading free quotes.

But for the real question, let's try this pending any response from Thomaz.

I use a number of paid subscription data feeds (eSignal, QP, TC2007) but also have a licensed copy of AmiQuote.  I think the license was $55 and it is "lifetime", i.e. not requirement to purchase again regardless of updates and enhancements. I bought it years ago partly to support Thomaz, partly to provide me with an alternative data source to fill historic EOD data for some of my intraday databases which are fed from QuoteTracker.  I trade for a living, in multiple markets and via multiple brokers using multiple computers, which may explain my diversity of datafeeds.  AmiQuote registered does allow one to download fundamental data from Yahoo.  This can be different from that provided by QP and the more limited data set from TC2007, so often it is used for comparison purposes.  Also, though my memory may be in error here, the unregistered version only supports downloading a limited number of symbols at a time.  The registered version is unlimited.  I don't recall any other differences, unless there is some difference in the quote sources that are available.  Registered supports Yahoo Historic, Yahoo Current (this updates intraday), Yahoo Basic Fundamental, Yahoo Extended Fundamental, Google Finance (EOD & Historical), MSN Historical, and FOREX (Finam, both intraday and EOD).  I think the Yahoo Basic Fundamental may be available to nonregistered.

If one is using AB Pro, the answer to the question depends I suppose on one's trading style, what data source you are feeding to AB, and what fundamental data you might want to have available.  While I am almost a purely technical trader (chart analysis more accurately and price and volume are paramount to me intraday), some fundamentals creep into my world view analysis -- things such as shares issued, float, shares short, institutional ownership, pay a part in identifying tradable stocks.

I hope this is more on point.

Peace and Justice   ---   Patrick