[amibroker] Re: Adding a Custom Metric to Backtest Report

Mike, thanks a bunch! That's amazingly helpful!

I will take some time to wrap my head around your code. Didn't realize my own code was so buggy.

For now, just a few follow-up questions (for you, or anyone who is kind enough to chime in):

 A.
I looked up PosistionSize in the help manual, and did not see any reference to negative numbers. What does PositionSize = -10 mean?

B.
While I do want to only track the first condition that is true, in (2) you mention that if I wanted to track ALL conditions, I should use a bit flag.  Not sure what you mean by that.  Could you please give me an example of that in this line, as I might also want an alternative version that does track all conditions:

PositionScore = IIf( Condition AND NOT PositionScore, a, PositionScore );

C.
I agree that using values that the backtester needs could prove dangerous. That's why I also posted an example using AddToComposite. I realize that code also had the same bugs you pointed out earlier. But what about my use of AddToComposite. If I subsituted ATC instead of position score...is the following the correct use? I can't seem to recall the values from the composite symbol when I get to the backtester portion of the code. Condition column remains blank in the report:

//--------------------------------------------------------------------

// SIMPLE TRADING SYSTEM BASED ON VARIOUS CONDITIONS
//--------------------------------------------------------------------

FastMA =
MA( C, 10 );
SlowMA =
MA( C, 200 );

Condition1 =
Cross( FastMA, SlowMA );
Condition2 =
Cross( SlowMA, FastMA );
Condition3 =
Cross( C, SlowMA );
Condition4 =
Cross( SlowMA, C );

Buy = Sell = Short = Cover =  0;
PositionSize = -10;

for ( a = 1; a < 5; a++ )
{
Condition =
VarGet( "Condition" + NumToStr( a, 1.0, 0 ) );

Buy = Buy OR Condition;

// Use Composite symbol to store the Condition numbers whenever a Condition is True.
AddToComposite( IIf(Condition, a, 0), "~Condition", "V", 1+2+8+16);  //  1+2+8+16 enables all ATC in all AA procedures
}

Buy = ExRemSpan(Buy, 12);
Sell = Ref(Buy, -12);

//--------------------------------------------------------------------

// WANT TO ADD THE CUSTOM COLUMN, "CONDITION" TO BACKTEST REPORT
//--------------------------------------------------------------------

SetCustomBacktestProc( "" );

if ( Status( "action" ) == actionPortfolio )
{
bo =
GetBacktesterObject();

bo.Backtest(
1 ); // run default backtest procedure

// iterate through closed trades first

for ( trade = bo.GetFirstTrade(); trade; trade = bo.GetNextTrade() )
{
trade.AddCustomMetric(
"Condition", Foreign("~Condition", "V") );

bo.ListTrades();
}
}

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike" <sfclimbers@xxx> wrote:

> Ozzy,
>
> Your immediate problem is that you are refering to the MarginDeposit
> *variable* in your backtester code, when what you actually want to do
> is refer to the MarginDeposit *property* of the trade object.
>
> However, using MarginDeposit or PointValue, do not seem to work. So I
> would suggest not going with option e) of Thomasz's note unless
> overloading the Score property (which maps to PositionScore
> variable). I have provided an example below taking that approach,
> though I do not encourage it since PostionScore is used by the
> backtester when deciding which trades to take (in other words, don't
> mess with values that the backtester needs!).
>
> A few other observations:
>
> 1) Your Buy logic appears buggy. As written, Buy will always be set
> to the value returned by Condition4 (i.e. you clobber the Buy value
> at each iteration of the loop, so the last iteration will always
> win). I suspect that you want an OR operation here to Buy whenever
> any of the conditions are met.
>
> 2) Same problem with your MarginDeposit calculation; It is
> destructive. If you want to keep the *first* condition that was true,
> do as is provided in the example. If you want to keep the *last*
> condition that was true, remove the "AND NOT PositionScore" clause.
> If you want to track *all* conditions, you'll need to use a bit flag.
>
> 3) Given that your Sell condition is a function of Buy, there is no
> need to keep recalculating it within the loop. Wait 'till Buy has
> finished being defined, then calculate Sell once after the fact.
>
> 4) If I understand your Sell intent correctly (i.e. hold for 12 days
> then sell), there is a better way to do it. See ExRemSpan usage in
> example below.
>
> Mike
>
> //--------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
> // SIMPLE TRADING SYSTEM BASED ON VARIOUS CONDITIONS
> //--------------------------------------------------------------------
> ----
>
> FastMA = MA( C, 10 );
> SlowMA = MA( C, 200 );
>
> Condition1 = Cross( FastMA, SlowMA );
> Condition2 = Cross( SlowMA, FastMA );
> Condition3 = Cross( C, SlowMA );
> Condition4 = Cross( SlowMA, C );
>
> Buy = Sell = Short = Cover = PositionScore = 0;
> PositionSize = -10;
>
> for ( a = 1; a < 5; a++ )
> {
> Condition = VarGet( "Condition" + NumToStr( a, 1.0, 0 ) );
> Buy = Buy OR Condition;
> PositionScore = IIf( Condition AND NOT PositionScore, a,
> PositionScore ); // Reserved variable "PositionScore" is used to
> store the
> // Condition numbers whenever a Condition is True.
> }
>
> Buy = ExRemSpan(Buy, 12);
> Sell = Ref(Buy, -12);

> [...]

**** IMPORTANT ****