[amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT

The fact that a lot of 'published' systems are morally and/or
logically bankrupt makes it easier for me to help other traders code
them into AFL, for educational purposes, (assuming that I have the
time and the skills).

It would be even easier for me if they made the effort to state their
problems in clear simple english or pseudocode and NOT tell me they
got this code from XYZ software OR 'The ABC Of Trading' book.

If others take a different moral stance and don't want to do that
then I respect their personal decision.

Hope they will respect mine.

Those who are asking are asking 'at their own risk' and I am posting
code 'at my own risk'.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <ftonetti@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
and
> > entry of some 'envelope' settings.
> >
> > I played around with the system in MS and luckily came across a
way
> > to automate, via simple code, the envelopes.
> >
> > I was going to 'give' the code to the guy but when I emailed him
> > about it to open the discussion there was another silence
followed
> by
> > a reply email congratulating me on my fine effort and claiming
> > that "they already had an automated algorithm for the envelopes,
in
> > beta and that it would soon be released".
> >
> > I spent many hours pouring over that 'system' and I still don't
> > believe it is a particularly profitable system.
> >
> > Furthermore it is not original but only a rehash of scores of
other
> > systems based on a few core trading principles.
> >

> > The moral of the story:
> >
> > - I purchased a system and signed a 'copyright' agreement when I
> was
> > somewhat naive from a trading point of view
> > - the ethics of the situation don't compel me to honour the
> agreement
> > - legally I am obliged (just in case ... murky waters as Bill
says)
> > - I would like to post the system on this site but I might am
> > restricted
> >
> > In fact, on account of the agreement, the trading 'mentor' owns a
> > hackneyed, recycled system and has it locked up for years.
> >
> > He who publishes first and longest wins!
> >
> > IMO this is not a good outcome for the trading community.
> >
> > brian_z
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michel Guibert <michelg14@>
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > If I follow all the copyright , I can't do anything , everybody
> has
> > done everything before me.
> > > Many formulas were published in many books or review and you
> think
> > there is copyright on them  ???
> > > Personnaly when they are published in a review I consider them
in
> > the public domain.
> > >
> > > MG
> > >

> > > To: amibroker@: ohneclue@: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:05:28 -
> > 0800Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT
> > >

> > > Whenever you write something, you own the copyright to it such -
-
> > even these posts are the IP of the individual poster and they own
> the
> > copyright to the contents.  Yahoo does not own it, the group
owner
> > does not own it and in the Yahoo TOS, this is so stated.
> > >
> > > In another group that suffers from overt estrogen overloaded, 1
> > person wrote a guide, lifted whole posts of other members and put
> > them in her guide (without credit or permission) that she sold
and
> > was called on it.  The person who was charging for the
information
> > had to refund money and revise her guide to be strictly and
> > exclusively her own words.  That is an example of copyright
> violation.
> > >
> > > I use and quote George C Lane and his application of the
> stochastic
> > formula all the time and it is NOT a violation of copyright
because
> > the settings are mine that I have played around with, I give
credit
> > where I have learned something from someone else such as David
> > Elliott about stochastics settings, etc., and don't lift entire
> > paragraphs or words in the same series as their works.  These are
> not
> > copyright violations.  These come under the fair and free use
> concept.
> > >
> > > If I am discussing something from a trading book or manual that
> is
> > copyrighted  and put it into my own words even though it is not
my
> > original idea, that is not a violation of copyright.
> > >
> > > If I write a book or prepare a PP presentation and pass the
work
> > off as my own when it is based on someone else's work and the
> charts
> > are THEIRS I lifted entirely, word for word or exactly the same
> > indicator settings, other than my own stochastic settings I've
> > developed, and sell it, that is a violation of copyright.
> > >
> > > The two elements are:  passing stuff off as your own when you
> > copied it from someone else and selling it as your own idea.
> > >
> > > Judith
> > >

> > > From: Barry Scarborough <razzbarry@>To: amibroker@: Friday,
> > December 19, 2008 10:32:28 PMSubject: [amibroker] Re: COPYRIGHT
> > >
> > > No. It appears there is a lot of confusion on copyright laws. A
> > good discussion is at http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Copyrights.
OF

**** IMPORTANT ****