[amibroker] Re: OT: Hard Disk Problem

Defragging is not wearing out your drive. The opposite is true. The
life expectancy of a HD is over 100,000 hours and that is 11 years if
you leave it on all the time. I have a number of HDs running fine
well over 6 years some over 10. Not defragging just makes it harder
on your drive because when the data is scattered all over the place
the HD thrashes around to assemble the data.

If your HD is almost full or if you have a bunch of jobs running
Windows will page the data to a hard drive, if it can't page it to
memory, while it loads data for the other job. The more jobs you have
running the more this will happen. The best way to prevent this is to
have lots of memory and multiple drives, one for programs, the other
for data and the third for back up. You also need lots of memory so
windows can page to memory rather than paging to disk. If you changed
the way windows manages your memory you may have shot yourself in the
foot. Windows uses lots of memory to page to memory rather than disk.

I have huge hard drives and rarely defrag, once a year maybe, on one
system with the drive configuration as above and 3 GB of memory. It
rarely thrashes or pages to disk. The other is older, half full
drives and 500 MB of memory and thrashes itself to death.

Scan you disk for bad sectors. If it has any/many keep an eye on it
and back your data up NOW and make sure you know where all your
program disks are! A good idea is to buy a separate drive and back
everything up to it. HDs are so cheap now that is not a problem.

This is how disks store data. When you load programs, music, movies,
or anything that is static, they do not change, the data is
sequential and will not get fragmented. You will not have to defrag
that data. When you load data and change it all the time the data
gets fragmented and it is best to put this type of data on a separate
disk and defrag it once in a while. If you have a huge drive
partition it so you don't have programs and data on the same logical
drive. Put data in a partition by itself.

Barry

**** IMPORTANT ****