[amibroker] OT: Hard Disk Problem

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] OT: Hard Disk Problem
  • From: "Ken Close" <ken45140@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:31:18 -0500

I know this is Off Topic but maybe someone has had a similar experience or can offer advice from their expertise.

I am going along, and all of a sudden my main hard drive (C:) starts up an incessant and continuing chatter.  Loud enough to really notice.
There is no other indication anything is wrong.  CPU cycles are normal for what is open. (Usually have various programs with browser open with many tabs).  I have extra RAM and an onboard monitor does not indicate that the RAM is low.  I defrag automatically every night.  I have latest download/OS upgrades.

I shut down all applications and exit in normal manner (once I held the computer power on button down to shut down without going through the shut down sequence--just to try it that way).  Either method of shutdown makes the computer .... well .... shut down.  Then normal restart, and back to business.

These events occur every so many days even a week or more. It has happened three or four times, and does not seem to be increasing in frequency.

Normally, this would call for a new hard drive, but I have no clue as to cause and no indication that the drive is getting ready to fail (like increased events).

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

I am backed up with full image of drive on external drive so I am safe from that standpoint.

**** IMPORTANT ****