[amibroker] Re: Why are there so few?

Brian,

It is certainly possible for DLL authors to implement security for
their apps completely independently from the platform (AB).  However,
doing so is pretty much a whole 2nd hat to wear compared to just
writing the DLL and having it work with some decent security scheme
that might already exist in the platform.

If (and I say if, because I think only TJ could know how possible this
might really be for his platform) it were possible for AB to offer
security services for plug-ins in a standardized way that imposed an
absolute minimum of extra hassle on potential commercial DLL plug-in
authors, I think many more of them would be likely to release DLL
plug-ins to the public (presumably for some very reasonable cost,
market determined).

IOW, the skill-set of being a trading-related DLL author, and the
skill set of being a DLL distribution security expert are not the
same.  I think there are relatively many who possess the former, fewer
of which have the motivation to acquire the latter.

A single-point solution in the platform itself (again, if possible)
seems to me like it would maximize the likelihood of that first group
making their work available.

Aside, re: copyright - laws vary by country as to what is
copyrightable and for how long.  In general, an "idea" is not
copyrightable, but a "specific expression" of that idea is.

Copyright refers to the literal act of making a copy (of music, video,
code, etc), not to creating a new expression of a general idea.

So, if you open your editor and type in fresh computer code to
implement some natural language description of a mathematical,
trading, or statistical idea, you have not violated copyright.  Though
there are some who have attempted to claim otherwise in particular
cases, their record of legal success almost non-existent.

Hence, Chaikin, Wilder, Bollinger etc. are paid in fame, honors, and
client patronage - and not in royalties!

**** IMPORTANT ****