[amibroker] Re: Why are there so few?

> Would you make the same claim of ownership upon the works of a
> spanish poet simply because you paid someone to teach you a foreign
> language?

Yes, I wondered about copyright of code compared to poetry, prose etc.

Yes, I am respectful of peoples intellectual efforts.

BUT!

English is in the public domain .... AFL is owned by AmiBroker?

I doubt if anyone can make it stick that I can't use AFL to write
anything I want to write.

I imagine it is an argument that rages between and amongst
programmers (individual and corporate).

brian_z

-- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike" <sfclimbers@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
> > Tomasz created the language and I purchased the right to use it
> when
> > I bought AB.... all of it, in any way I see fit.
>
> AFL is simply a medium of expression, just as any spoken language
is.

> Would you make the same claim of ownership upon the works of a
> spanish poet simply because you paid someone to teach you a foreign
> language?
>
> You are free to compose your own works, and to reap the personal
> rewards from sharing them. However, that does not give you any
claim
> to the works of anyone else.
>
> Mike
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "brian_z111" <brian_z111@> wrote:
> >
> > > I think that the larger question is protection of AFL's.
> > > Anyway, I'd be interested in others thoughts on this issue.
> >
> > Thanks for raising the issue ... best to have an open discussion.
> >
> > I am offended by the idea of copyrighting AFL code.
> >
> > I like Howard, and I quite like his book, but I didn't like the
> fact
> > that he tried to claim copyright of the code contained in it.
> >
> > In fact I find the idea of copyrighting AFL somewhat
> ridiculous.....
> > Tomasz created the language and I purchased the right to use it
> when
> > I bought AB.... all of it, in any way I see fit.
> >
> > I am happy to share, for free, any code that I have 'written' if
> > feel is worthwhile and that I have the time to present it in a
> > reasonable way.
> >
> > I think you will have a problem copyrighting code because you
can't
> > be certain that I haven't already written anything you may write,
> or
> > claim to have written, and have it stored on my computer.
> > Perhaps someone broke into my computer, stole the code and gave
it
> > you .... I might have to sue you if you claim it is your
proprietry
> > code.
> >
> > I don't have a problem with commercial activity though and I am
> happy
> > to consider purchasing plugins, books, training, financial advice
> > etc ... as long as the business is done at another site and only
> > referenced, via link, from this forum.
> >

> > Trading knowledge is another matter ... I would sell my trading
> > ideas, if it suited me, and I would attempt to copyright the
> methods
> > (once again that would be difficult to do) but the code I use to
> > express, or implement those ideas can't and/or shouldn't be
> > copyrighted IMO.
> >

> > Re conflict of commercial/personal interests:
> >
> > I have experienced conflicting forces in this area.
> >
> > When I wrote for the UKB, and when I was considering setting up
> > another site for AB users, I did have to weigh up the benefit to
> > other users against the fact that I was essentially working for
AB
> > for free and building an valueable commercial asset for AmiBroker.
> >
> > I still feel that way, even with this forum ... to me it is a
trade
> > off between the desire to help others, and share trading
friendship
> > with them, while at the same time realising it is essentially an
AB
> > support desk and marketing arm.
> >
> > brian_z
> >

> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "bruce1r" <brucer@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Progster -
> > >
> > > Your response addressed DLL's and made good points about
> > intellectual
> > > property, but IMO you might have missed a point and been a
little
> > off
> > > the larger target.
> > >
> > > I think that the larger question is protection of AFL's.  This
is
> > > something that Howard Bandy and I discussed with Tomasz at the
> > > conference in Feb.  I'm going to delve into it a little here
> > because I
> > > think that it is time to air it again, then I'll offer a quick
> point
> > > about DLL's.
> > >
> > > Many have AFL's (trading systems, AND utilities) that they would
> > > release if they could protect them.  There are two reasons for
> > > protecting the source - one obvious and one not so obvious -
> > >
> > > 1. To charge for the code and for the intellectual property.
The
> > > market will decide if the price is reasonable or not.
> > >
> > > 2. To protect the source.  Many times others will mod the
source
> and
> > > then tie up author's time with questions about how the original
> > > software worked OR why the modified software doesn't work.
This
> is
> > > real problem.  I have released a fair amount of AB code in
another
> > > venue and can relate this problem firsthand.
> > >
> > > My impression is that Tomasz is reluctant to incorporate AFL
> > > protection for a couple of reasons.  I won't try to speak for
> him,
> > but
> > > I think that one of his reasons is that he feels that protected
> code
> > > that possibly had a charge would impede the sharing of code.
> > that
> > > all that I can ask is - how much is not now being released
because
> > > this facility doesn't exist.  Howard and I and others have
tried
> > > emphasize this.
> > >
> > > Now to DLL's.  Certainly code can be placed in a DLL to hide
it.
> It
> > > is also fairly easy to protect it.  It is just a pain and a
> > > productivity hit to convert AFL to a DLL just to protect it.
And
> in
> > > the end, any protection can be broken by a determined hacker.
> > > Protection tends to fall into two categories -
> > >
> > > 1. Wrappers for EXE's and DLL's that implement keyed protection
> for
> > > existing binaries and require no changes.  The protection may
or
> may
> > > not be machine unique. For example, ASPROTECT
> > >
> > > 2. Embedded protection calls that require changes to the app.
> > Several
> > > libraries available - some open such as ACTIVELOCK
> > >
> > > Anyway, I'd be interested in others thoughts on this issue.
> > >
> > > -- Bruce R
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "progster01" <progster@>

> > takes

> > contribution to