[amibroker] Re: Why are there so few?

Dennis,

Assume we could copyright AFL algorithms.

I have a trading idea.
I express it in pseudocode, write an AFL algorithm for it and
copyright the algorithm.

Any everyday AFL programmer could reverse engineer the pseudocode in
no time at all.

If they then go off and express that pseudocode (my trading idea) in
another trading language (Metastock, Tradestation et al) can I do
anything about it .... can I possibly have copyright over the
pseudocode or the expression of that code in another language?

Anyone?

Another interesting one that I have thought about before is:

Say a lot of 'features' are bolted on to AB via copyrighted plug-
ins ... does that mean that in the future AB can never add that
feature as a built-in ... what about if AB enhances the feature and
then claims copyright of that .... it seems like copyrighting might
open up a can of worms that might not be in the communities overall
interest.

And another:

Can I copyright all of the possible parameters of an optimizeable
trading algorithim?

FTR

I do have some half developed work, that I believe is original,
sitting in my drawer ... it is mainly of academic interest rather
than a honey pot.

If I get the time to finish it, and I deem it to be worthy, then I
will put it into a DLL and donate it to the trading community.

It needs a lot of work and I don't want to make a team effort on
it ... I don't work at my best in teams.

Also, a lot of things that I used to think were top secret and that I
would never ever publish seem rather passe with the passage of time.

My best security barrier is the fact that my best methods are too
simple to be considered worthy of consideration by many traders.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dennis Brown <see3d@xxx> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> That is not how it works.
>
> You can not copyright methods.  You can however patent methods as
long
> as you disclose them completely to the public and they are unique
and
> work.   Yea, try to keep someone from using your own publicly
> disclosed patented ideas from out trading you.  How would you even
> know.  Totally unworkable except to keep a company from including
your
> patented code in their commercial product.
>
> A copyright would keep a magazine or a person from selling or
giving
> away the code that embodies your trading ideas.  But once again,
once
> the cat is out of the bag too bad for you.  You edge is trashed.
>
> The only practical way you can share your trading methods on a
limited
> basis (for fun or profit) is to have a way to share the results
> without sharing the methods.  This is the trade secret way.
>
> You have two choices.
>
> 1. Stream the results to who you want (which does not help AB).
This

**** IMPORTANT ****