[amibroker] Re: Why are there so few?

Hi Bruce,
 I am the last one who should speak on the topic of protecting code as
opposed to releasing it since I have been a major beneficiary of code
that was released to everyone. However, I would like to express some
personal views as to how I would handle it were I as gifted as many
are in here.
 Because of the selflessness of others I have benefited by making
Amibroker easier for me to use among other things. Since I can't offer
code as a partial recompense I try to help where I can. A friend coded
some charts and indicators for me years ago and I asked at the time if
he would mind me sharing them if the situation arose and he said "of
course not" and so I have, always giving him the credit. If I were
able to code I would gladly share with one and all in this forum and
feel good about doing it. The one area where that would not be true
was if someone took my code and charged others for what was a gift
from me.
 I truly marvel at the innovative approaches many of you have taken to
find a solution to a problem on here. Those solutions have helped many
people that you aren't even aware of helping. I would hate to see this
kind of largesse grow moribund and die, not for personal reasons, but
because it seems so rare in this day and age. Anytime I can help
someone on here I feel good because of all the help I have received. I
certainly have no desire to deny someone the opportunity or right to
sell their code if they wish. Nor do I want to see others take credit
for something that is not theirs. I can understand the desire to
protect what is yours and would never deny anyone the right to do so.
However, I hope those who wish to do so will also look at the legacy
of sharing coding skills that has gone on, before a final decision is
made.
 These are my personal thoughts and opinions but I hope I have not
offended anyone by expressing them for that was clearly not my
intention. When I see the kindness of others and have indeed been the
recipient of that kindness, it makes me feel good inside. Thank you.

Warmest regards,

Tim

**** IMPORTANT ****