Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 11:57 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] Re: AFL coding

Barry,

I am having a tough time following this.
Are you saying that a single static variable can hold an array?
I only wish it were true.
You can do it with static variables, but you have to have a separate
variable for each element in the array.

AddToComposite() or disk files are the only way I know to pass an
array between AFL charts/panes, and it can be very slow.
It is faster to recalculate.

I guess one could write a DLL that could save them like a static
variable.
This has been discussed at length in the past.

BR,
Dennis

On Dec 3, 2008, at 1:54 AM, Barry Scarborough wrote:

> I forgot to say how to use the static var. In the using program you
> set the static var to a local variable.
>
> Before you can do that you need to create Pfx in this module.
> Pfx = "CCI";
> Then set a local var
> fCCI = StaticVarGet(Pfx + "CCI");
> And now you have the value from the other indicator in your local
> program.
>
> If you are going to do much of this create an include with constants
> in it and include that before all other includes and in every
> indicator where it will be used. Hey, now you are doing object
> oriented coding in AFL, neat huh. Well kinda but not really but this
> will save you loads of time when building other systems.
>
> As I mentioned before I think includes are the way to go but
> programming is an art form and everyone has their own style. What
> works for you is the right way to go. But as much as you can look far
> ahead.
>
> Cheers,
> Barry
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxps.com, "Barry Scarborough" <razzbarry@x..>
> wrote:
>>
>> That is a nice idea.
>>
>> Make sure the static variables are unique, don't collide. It would
> be
>> safest to use a prefix for each indicator you create. An example
> for
>> a CCI indicator would be
>> Pfx = "CCI";
>> fCCI = do your CCI calc here
>> StaticVarSet(Pfx + "CCI", fCCI);
>> This static var is visible to all other programs running on the
>> visible chart.
>>
>> Also I think that AB scans the charts from top to bottom so make
> sure
>> the auto trading code is at the bottom so the data delivered to it
> is
>> fresh and not from the last scan. You can trace this and see what
>> happens.
>>
>> But, I think you are going to run into problems when you try to
> back
>> test or optimize since AA only sees the formula you are back
> testing.
>> It will not see the other charts on a worksheet.
>>
>> Another thing you can do is create an include file for each of the
>> indicators you want to use. Include them in the auto trading
> program
>> and also in the indicators you use in the other charts but don't
> plot
>> them in the auto trading program. Put the parameters in the
> indicator
>> file not your auto trading file. Set the default parameter in the
>> include and all charts will stay in sync. If you add arrows at the
>> buy points in each indicator you will see when they are
> contributing
>> to the trade condition.
>>
>> This is an example I use in my AT program:
>>
>> // cci include
>>
>> pCCI = Param("CCI period", pCCI, 1, 20, 1);
> [...]

**** IMPORTANT ****