[amibroker] Re: Why are there so few?

Thanks for the discussion.... very interesting.

As a naive programmer I have been wondering about a few things.

It seems my gut instincts are pretty close:

- people with prior programming experience have an advantage overall
(they can put AFl into perspective and find strengths and weaknesses
I can't even begin to imagine)

- they do seem to trip over array processing though (that part seems
easy to me)

- don't bother learning other languages

- AFL is a full language, albeit one with limited application i.e. it
is only for trading app (I suppose we could call it a fully blown
trading language).

- further enhancement of AFL is the desired goal

- AFL and AB have some quirky aspects to them (only fathomed by
persistent digging or the good graces of AB friends)

Now wouldn't you say that a full blown language deserves a full blown
manual and that we shouldn't have to fall in the potholes to know
they are there...... I will take razbarries point that other
languages are worse (head scratching and potholes are the norm when
programming?).

Something about AB/AFL makes me cranky ... can't quite put my finger
on what it is .... perhaps I just have my ideals set too high (is
that possible?)..... or maybe I am prone to crankiness.

I am definitely cranky that Tomasz won't give us a Wiki .... every
body else has them .... surely we are grown up enough to manage
one ... that would provide us with a vehicle to write a collective
book/manual.

On the other hand ... any of you guys up to an advanced AFL book ...
Barry (looks like you could go close)?

Maybe it is all a dream ... in the real world I will just have to
keep plodding along, tapping with my white cane, falling in potholes
and skinning my knees?

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dennis Brown <see3d@xxx> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I have just written one simple DLL.  I did it only because I had to
> gain some AFL functionality that was not available any other way.
> think that is the only reason I would write a DLL again.   I would
> prefer that AFL get enhanced instead to not require it at all.
>
> BR,
> Dennis
>

> On Dec 2, 2008, at 3:20 PM, sidhartha70 wrote:
>
> > I have found that there a number if tricks & tips to making AFL
code
> > run as fast as possible on AB... partly to do with AFL itself and
> > partly to with peculiarities of AB... It's taken trial and error
> > frankly to work them out...
> >
> > But I'm now much clearer about how to AB in an efficient manner...
> > such that pervious code that I found almost unusably slow is now
> > pretty fast.
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ara Kaloustian" <ara1@> wrote:
> >>
> >> Barry,
> >>
> >> I agree on most issues ... have experienced the hardship of
thinking
> > arrays
> >> ... has cost me a lot of time...
> >>
> >> Fortunatley (I think) I have lost the limited C programming I
could
> > do ...
> >> actually I used turbo Pascal because it was less forgiving than
C /
> > C++ ...
> >> I know C++ had improved a lot since .. the old days... so I
don't
> >> even
> >> consider a DLL task now.
> >>
> >> The advantages I see for a DLL (other than hiding your code) is
> > group
> >> common routines AND faster execution under some conditions. I
have
> > some very
> >> slow code that becomes unusable in real time...
> >>
> >> Have a great day
> >>
> >> Ara

C++

AFL,