[amibroker] Re: Why are there so few?

Hi Ara,

I will have to disagree about AFL vs C++. They are about the same
difficulty to learn. AFLs use of arrays threw me for a loop for about
a year. I kept trying to code it like C. Bad idea. Don't! The C++
compiler is much less forgiving and you have to have the code perfect
before the compiler will let it pass. That is a good thing because
AFL allows syntax error to pass that only surface at run time and
they are a BEAR to figure out. But then C++ has linking and run time
errors that are a BEAR to figure out too. And you are much more
likely to get help with coding here if you use AFL.

I think the best thing to do is read the AFL manual over and over
until you understand it. Then read it again. But realize you would
have to do that with C++ too. If you think the AFL manual is hard to
understand pick up a Visual C++ manual, 4 CD library, and try to
learn it. Good luck! And I am not talking about using the full blown
object oriented aspects of C++, which are much harder to grasp and
use and not needed in a DLL. OE is mainly for creating functions that
can be used over and over with standard interfaces and you can do
that with functions in AFL and put them in an include library.

The main reason for DLLs is hiding your design. Once you compile them
they are in machine language and unreadable. So your design would
remain a secret. DLLs would be good if you were writing application
level AmiBroker programs to sell where you would have a number of
applications with common function. Using common function lowers
maintenance and improves productivity. That is where OE shines.

Learn AFL. Forget DLLs unless you really need them.

Cheers,
Barry

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ara Kaloustian" <ara1@xxx> wrote:

> yes ... you need to be able to program in C++ (or similar) language.
>
> AFL is considered a user larguage .. that's why it's relatively easy
>
> C++ on the other hand is a full programming language

It

**** IMPORTANT ****