[amibroker] Re: Indicator Application and Multiple Machines

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "progster01" <progster@xxx> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Thanks for your kind comments.
>
> I would anticipate making myself available for AFL consultancy work
at
> some point in the future after I've increased my direct experience
with
> it and become more familiar with more of the particulars.  I'm
still in
> the process of getting used to the "AB way", as well as getting
clearer
> for myself on what kinds of jobs and configurations AB is most
> excellently suited for compared to other softwares I and my clients
> might use.

I thought you were building towards that.
There appears to be plenty of work around at the moment although it
is obviously cyclical.

Welcome aboard.
It's good to have some one of your quality involved (to keep the
balance).

As I understand it Tomasz opened up AB for other developers to bolt
on extras some time back but so far no one has made much of move on
the vacant real estate.

> Regarding UKB vs. CodeForTraders.com - being an independent
professional
> developer of trading software provides me with some extra concerns
> beyond those of a private trader only.  To mention a few:
>
> The continuous availability of my work cannot be guaranteed on a
site
> controlled by others.

I first thought that you were just being hosted there.
I've since read more and see that you are the owner.

Good luck with your project.

I understand the 'power of control' - Herman and I did accept some
compromises to go to the UKB - it's a love job.

I did offer to write for Herman, as well as the UKB, if he wanted to
go to his own site but neither of us want what goes with that
(thankfully he declined).

> Free-ranging discussion about using "best of breed" technology to
solve
> different problems and succeed in the markets is generally not
permitted
> on platform vendor sites (which only want discussion of their own
> platforms).

Tomasz is very open minded but yes there are limits when it comes to
promoting against his core brand (who would be comfortable with that
at their own site).

Personally I don't feel the need to do that - there's plenty of
places for others to promote themselves.

Since the UKB is an 'open' project and a 'NotForProfit' site I am
totally free to state my case without 'fear or favour' - the only
limitations I place on myself are based on my personal and trading
philosophies.

> Unmoderated sites can have a high level of "noise" to "signal".

I don't think that will happen at the UKB - it takes some commitment
to be a UKB author and that is a natural filter.

> So, for these reasons and others, I took it on myself to establish
CFT
> and maintain it into the future.  It's a rock to build on (for
myself,
> my clients, and other traders/developers who need the same
freedoms),
> rather than a shifting sandbar.
>
> As for the UKB itself, I think it is great!  Clearly some excellent
> material is being written and posted, and the overall value will
only
> continue to increase over time as more is added.  As long as UKB
> accomodates links, I'll be happy to ensure that substantive AB-
related
> code, instruction, or commentary of mine can be found and reached
from
> UKB.

The three people who started the UKB (counting Herman/Al as one) are
all visionaries but we all hold different visions for it.
Herman was the most far sighted amongst the group so he might like to
comment (I know he is busy at the moment but he will be back at the
UKB at some stage).

It was always part of the discussion that the UKB would be an AB
portal that linked to the sites of Ami friends and associates,
including those with commercial interests - so far no one has taken
advantage of that.

Potentially the site can have resources pages and 'promotional' pages
for individuals who have the volume of material to sustain a page.

'We' - the founding fathers would 'like' to see that happen but we
don't have the bodies to do the work.

In keeping with my perceptions for the site - it is a self-help
project - interested people should go and carve their own initials in
the tree.

In line with my own needs and philosophies I am not driving anything
at the UKB but if others want to jump in the driving seat they are
free to do so from my point of view (I deliberately took on a role
there for a limited time and then withdrew to wait for someone else
to have their turn).

> As I see it, a community is larger than a site.  Platform sites,
user
> sites, blogs, 3rd party sites - to me it is all good.  We live in
an age
> where communication and cooperation are making great strides.  The
link
> is the master key.  Everyone who wants to be associated can be
> associated.  Everyone who wants to cooperate and collaborate can
> cooperate and collaborate.
>
> The question is no longer "Whom can you keep within your walls?",
it is
> instead "Whom can you reach with your bridges?"

Agreed.

Individual AB users who are willing to maintain a public profile
chose their own place and method of presentation e.g. I don't see a
great deal of difference between what Howard is doing and my own work
(of course his qualifications and experience far outweigh mine but
the different styles that come from that enrich the overall
offerings) - in fact I am keeping an eye on what he is doing because
my policy is not to write about something that is already adequately
covered elsewhere.

Personally I don't know a lot about the work of Bill Barack and
others around the traps because of time limitations but they are all
in the mix.