[amibroker] Re: AmiBroker educational resources

Hi Haders

Think about what the power of Amibroker can accomplish. You can back
test thousands of symbols in minutes where if you did this by hand it
would take years. I know you already understand this but consider the
 learning curve with coding. Its high but achievable.

The best way to approach Amibroker is with patience. Proceed slowly
and read all available support. Learning to code is kind of like
jumping into the seat of a Boeing 747. There is no book out there that
is going to teach you how to fly the craft through a blizzard in 20
minutes. Its work. a ton of it.

I am also new to Amibroker and after spending a couple of weeks with
the software I can only (at this point) suggest the following:

You may want to consider working with the AFL Wizard first. The AFL
wizard allows you to create  a system using simple English to create
the code. When you  are finished, simply click the red exclamation
point icon on top (second from last icon below the menu bar).
Amibroker will now ask you where to save your file. Just save it to
your desktop. When you are finished, go to your desk top, locate the
saved file and open it. You will see the code as it appears in AFL
language format.

You can find both the AFL Wizard and the AFL editor under "Analysis"
in the menu bar on top. Don't confuse the two. The AFL wizard is the
first step to understanding "how to speak to Amibroker". When you
finally learn how to code, you can type your code directly into the
AFL editor by passing the AFL wizard completely.

Here are some support links:

check out the Amibroker user guide here
http://www.amibroker.com/bin/UsersGuide.pdf

Also, check out

Howard Bandy is also writing a book on how to use Amibroker. It all on
his web site at
http://www.quantitativetradingsystems.com/

Howard has written a book on how to build trading systems and his book
uses all the AFL language that is used in Amibroker. See:
http://www.quantitativetradingsystems.com/book.html

Check out this video on how to back test in Amibroker.
http://www.amibroker.com/video/backtest.html

I'm sure you are aware of Amibrokers Home Page.
http://www.amibroker.com/

This is a great link with many support links:
http://www.amibroker.com/support.html

Also, there is a gentleman named Bill Barack who has videos for sale
on how to use Amibroker. The video set is called "Amibroker 101"
http://www.ftmonitor.com/ab101/ab101intro.html

Good luck. Patience is the key.
Walter Lepore