[amibroker] Re: Selling price not set properly sometimes

Tomasz,

I'm referencing future quote purposely.
Let me explain why I'm doing so.

1. Suppose I run my system on Monday and get AAAA, BBBB, and CCCC as
"buy" for Tuesday.

2. I buy AAAA, BBBB and CCCC on Tuesday.  I run my system Tuesday
night and get DDDD, EEEE as "buy" for Wednesday.

3. I sell AAAA, BBBB and CCCC on Wednesday.

The problem is that the Backteter does not buy DDDD and EEEE on
Wednesday, since my equity is locked up by AAAA, BBBB and CCCC.

So, I'm generating Sell signal of AAAA, BBBB and CCCC on Monday.  From
the Backtester's point of view, I have sold AAAA, BBBB, CCCC on
Tuesday when in real life I'm holding till Wednesday morning.

Is that going to be an issue?  No, because I'm assigning my exit price
as Wednesday's Open, which is exactly when I will be selling, anyway.

And also, because the stocks are "sold" on Tuesday, the backtester
will buy DDDD and EEEE on Wednesday.

Hope it helps in clarifying what I'm trying to do.
I welcome better implementation of what I'm trying to do, but the
method you described runs into the same problem; Backtester does not
buy DDDD and EEEE.

Regards,

intermilan04

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx> wrote:

> > I'm not doing
> > SellPrice = Ref(Open, -1).
> >
> > I'm doing SellPrice = Ref(Open, 1)
>
> Ref( Open, 1 ) is even worse. It references future.
> (You are trying to trade TODAY on TOMMORROW'S prices)
>
> *Never, ever* delay/future reference trading price arrays because
> this is fundamentally wrong. Delay SIGNALS, not prices.
>
> You should delay THE SIGNAL instead:
>
> Sell = Ref( Sell, -1 ); // correct -> trade ONE BAR LATER
> SellPrice = Open; // price = CURRENT day open
>
> The ability to specify trade prices is provided to allow to implement
> stop/limit orders.
>
> If you delay/future reference prices then statistics are wrong (for
example if
> signal was on friday you should trade on next MONDAY,
> not on friday using next monday price) - stats showing
> average trade length, excursions (MAE/MFE) are all wrong,
> because in reality you would exit your trades ONE DAY LATER.
>
> Backtest formula should be coded so it enters/exits trades EXACTLY
at the same
> time as in reality. If you write your formula differently - it is
wrong and results
> are not reproducible in reality.
>
> By the way if you used Tools->Check function in AFL editor it would
> tell you that your formula is wrong because it references future.
>

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

SellPrice.