[amibroker] Re: Can anyone explain Why AmiBrokers instead of Metastock

TJ,

I could be wrong because I haven't tried to write something to
utilize multiple cpu/core configurations within the same box, but I
know from writing parts of IO that allow for cooperative optimization
between multiple boxes that one can keep the overhead very low and I
would think ?! that there is a much higher chance for overhead to be
considerably higher using multiple boxes then multiple cpu's/cores on
the same box.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> To take advantage of any CPU feature the program has to be
specifically
> built for given feature.
> No gain is "automatic". You need to code specifically for given
feature.

> When it comes to 64 bit - the source code had to be adjusted
> in several hundreds of lines where incompatiblities were found.
> Plus it had to be compiled with new 64 bit compiler and run on 64
bit computer
> running 64 bit version of Windows.
>
> Multi-core support is similar, although more complex story -
> the code needs to be restructured significantly. Also even if you
restructure
> the code you may find out that there is no gain because the speed
> is limited not by execution of CPU but by memory access because
> modern CPUs can often calculate more data than RAM is able to
read/store.
> Also thread switching / synchronization make eat all theoretical
gains.
> For example if you make array addition parallel it will run SLOWER
on dual
> core than on single core unless array has hundreds of thousands
bars because
> of thread management overhead.
> Multiple CPU/Core is only able to run at full speed if data and
code can
> fill entirely within integrated on-die processor cache. This is
rarely the case
> when it comes to data of thousands of symbols each having thousands
of data bars.
> As soon as processor needs to access RAM it simply needs to wait.
> Single core can be amazingly fast when processing arrays and it is
much
> faster than RAM. Code compiled with SSE instructions enabled (x64
version does that),
> use SIMD instructions that can add/multiply 4 numbers in one CPU
cycle.
> This is way way faster than RAM speed so processor wastes time
waiting for
> RAM access if data are not fully present in CPU cache. And adding
second core
> does not help if RAM is bottleneck.
> What I am talking about here is not theoretical stuff but something
I actually