[amibroker] Re: Data Updates

Bill,
Thanks for your interest.  No, I do not currenmtly download a large
number of stocks from Yahoo.  I was downloading about 6,000 daily on
a historical basis (until the problems). I found that when using
Current it would miss data from stocks so had to use Historical to
fill in. The MSOdat downloads (about 6,000 stocks)as a FTP file so it
is really quick. We have gone through periods with Yahoo where they
would cut us off and sometimes it was days before we could update.
They have been pretty good of late.  I still download the Indexes
and .OB and .PK stocks(very few) from Yahoo and haven't any recent
problems.

Dick H.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wavemechanic" <wd78@xxxx> wrote:
> Dick:
>
> You are downloading a very large number of quotes from Yahoo.  Were
you downloading historical (CSI data) or current (Reuters)?
Historical is very much slower than current because of the way the
server is accessed and, imo, need only be done once per week (e.g.,
on weekends), if one wants the final database to be CSI.  I am on a
relatively slow dialup connection and current downloads at a rate of
about 1000 quotes/min, whereas historical is perhaps two orders of
magnitude slower.  Both data suppliers are quite reliable and the
majority of the current equity and index quotes are available about
20 minutes after the market closes.  No significant problem after
operating in this mode for several years.  From your description, my
guess is that MSOdata's servers operate like Yahoo's current server.

> Bill

Stocks
>   database.  With Yahoo it normally took from 1 hour to 2 hours to
>   download (sometimes up to 6 hours). About the same for MetaStock
>   using their downloader. this is with dial up.  After a number of
>   itermittent problems with Yahoo I swithed over to MSOdata. It
takes
>   about 3 minutes to download the 5,700 US Stocks database.  You
then
>   parse the downloaded ASCII data into AmiBroker though the Wizard
>   (about another 5 minutes).  Just a suggestion as Yahoo is
>   unpredictable.
>
>   Dick H.
>
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jdupcak" <jdupcak@xxxx> wrote:
>   >
>   >
>   > I am new to AmiBroker and am finding my way.  I am having a
problem
>   > updating my end of day data.  I have two data sources, one is
>   Yahoo
>   > Historical data using AmiQuote and the other is Metastock using
>   > Downloader and the Metastock Data Plug-In.  The problem is that
>   each
>   > auto update takes hours.  Both data bases work just fine except
for
>   > the time it takes to roll in the new day's numbers.
>   >
>   > Here are my particulars:  AmiQuote 1.69, Amibroker 4.6
>   Professional,
>   > Pentium IV with XP, and cable internet access.  The slowness
>   > shouldn't be associated with my equipment of internet access.
>   >
>   > I suspect I am doing something incorrectly.  Any lessons
learned
>   are
>   > appreciated.
>   >