Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:32 PM
Subject: Re: [amibroker] OFF Topic - PC startup codes

I've also found that running Norton's WinDoctor helps clean up weird windows stuff.  If none of Yuki's and my suggestions work, Microsoft offers a memory test that will check the integrity of your memory simms.  I had a bad sim that caused irradic opperation and the memory tester is how I identified it.  Another idea is a cmos upgrade (probably can download from MB mfg. site).  I can't remember what cmos stands for, but it's the memory built into your motherboard that guides the boot process before Windows has her way with your system.

mark out

Yuki Taga <yukitaga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Ara,

Friday, December 17, 2004, 6:07:57 AM, you wrote:

AK> When I boot up my PC ...it behaves differently than it used to
AK> ... takes longer ... displays screens it never did ... etc and
AK> displays some hex codes at lower right corner ... such as  0078
AK> and 00B1 ...

AK> Does anyone know what these are or a source to find out info?

You don't say which flavor of Windows you are running, but the first
thing I would do is backup all critical data, *now*.  Then I would
run Ad-aware, followed by Pest Patrol, for starters.  It may be
likely you have opened something problematic, or have inadvertently
visited or have been redirected to some site that left behind a
"calling card".

You should also run chkdsk /f on all your drives.

Yuki

Do you Yahoo!?