[amibroker] Re: The demise of 23 systems...

Chuck,

I've been following this thread and first let me thank you for
sharing.  It's always good to see a reminder that trading isn't easy,
especially from someone with your experience.  This is a complex topic
with many moving parts and I think that different people have
different things in mind when discussing it (myself included, lol).
You mentioned the current N100 list "success story" and I'd quantify
this by looking at a benchmark for measuring it that is *unaffected
by distortion from a system* (such as buy and hold profit) vs the same
benchmark for *select* stocks from the population of stocks trading at
the start of the analysis period.  I say select because, as you know,
N100 stocks are limited to non-financial companies listed on NASDAQ.
Then there's the broader issue of survivorship bias which I'd also
quantify without system distortion but can be avoided by acting only
with information known at the time.  What I *think* you did was try to
simulate the past with a one-frame-a-year rolling window of the
N100 for your N100 systems (whatever they are).  I'm not sure what
your results show about the N100 list success story or survivorship
bias because of all the confounding variables that what I think you've
done introduces.  But what I personally take away is another argument
for trading robust systems.

Mark

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:
> Jayson,
>
> Where do I begin?   First, let me put your mind at ease and tell you
that I
> am successfully trading numerous systems against the entire
universe of
> stocks.   Suffice to say that I have a 40-year track record trading
my own
> as well as other people's money.   As I mentioned in my earlier
email, I
> became frustrated by the fact that many people in this group were
getting
> such good backtested results from systems applied to the N100.
>
> My N100 systems being discussed performed very well in the last
year, not
> poorly as you suggest.   They performed very well for several years
against
> the CURRENT N100 list.    But, the CURRENT N100 list is a success
story for
> those 100 stocks.
>
> It is my belief that selecting and ranking based on only 100 stocks
simply
> won't yield enough qualified buy signals to give good returns
without large
> drawdowns.   By the time I add liquidity and price filtering, there
may only
> be one or two signals at each swing of the overall market.   That
simply
> doesn't give me an acceptable level of diversfication.   Due to the
size of
> the funds that I manage, I need to get off a fair amount of dollars
in a
> fair number of positions in each system in order to play the game.
>
> I'll probably just go back to developing and trading systems that
look at
> the entire universe, rather than the N100.   However, I will suffer
every
> time I hear of someone seeing 2,500% annual returns in backtesting
some new
> system on the N100.

Well, to
> be honest, I was trading them until yesterday.
>
>   9.  Once I tried the more accurate method of determining which
stocks were
> NASDAQ 100 constituents in AmiBroker, these systems fell apart.
>
>   That's my story... back to the drawing board (unless I want to
ignore
> using more accurate watchlists).

NASDAQ 100
> watchlist can give you a real sense of false security.   Not only
are
> de-listed stocks not in the current list, but many of those
de-listed stocks
> had lacklustre performance before their demise.
>
>     I encourage you to think about the impact of using only a
current
> watchlist, regardless of how that list is constructed, for
backtesting
> purposes.   I see it all the time.   System designers create
watchlists of
> high-beta or high-yield or low P/E or whatever stocks based on
current
> information to backtest a system starting perhaps five years ago.
Think