RE: [amibroker] The demise of 23 systems...

Hi
Thomas,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I see
that I have you thinking.   I'll address your
questions.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>1.  Yes, I am (was) trading about half of these
systems.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>2.  Since they were specifically developed for the N100 stocks, I
only use them against those stocks.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>3.  I will attempt to come up with systems that trade the N100
(using more accurate watchlists), but I don't hold out much hope.
Most, if not all, of my systems use ranking.   With only 100 stocks to
select from, it is hard to find more than 3 or 4 to trade (using my
criteria).   Three or four stocks (IMO) simply doesn't give me the
diversification that I think is required.   The drawdowns are too
heavy.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>4.  I tracked the performance since trading live.
However, it is impossible to compare results of live trading over a few months
with backtested trading over nine years.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Thomas Chan
  [mailto:tchan@xxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 12:45
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  The demise of 23 systems...

  <SPAN
  >Chuck,
  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  If I may ask, do you run many of these 23 systems concurrently in your real
  life operations? If yes, do you run them ONLY on N100 issues? Or on your whole
  universe, knowing that you backtested them against current N100
  only.
  <SPAN

  Also, with your new findings, are your going to throw them all out (of course,
  you might just do some modifications) and start developing new systems base on
  the new setups?
  <SPAN

  You must have tracked the performances before and after the backtest period;
  can you say that the new findings more accurately reflect the real life
  performance?
  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  Thanks.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Thomas
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  Message-----From: Chuck
  Rademacher [mailto:chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx] <SPAN
  >Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 4:05
  AMTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  >Subject: [amibroker] The demise of 23
  systems...
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <FONT face=Arial color=blue
  size=2>I
  thought that I would share the following with you.  Perhaps you can
  see how the results of my research may affect your own
  systems?

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <FONT face=Arial color=blue
  size=2>I had
  what I thought to be 23 "good" to "very good" systems that I backtested
  against a current NASDAQ 100 watchlist.   After spending
  two days updating symbols and accounting for de-listed stocks, I came up with
  nine separate watchlists, as at January 1 each year between 1995 and
  2003.   Thanks to some of you, I modified my AFL to make sure that I
  used the correct watchlist depending on the date.   The results...
  not one of my 23 NASDAQ 100 systems now backtest with acceptable
  performance.  Many went from nice, positive returns with low drawdowns to
  negative returns and almost total loss of capital.

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <FONT face=Arial color=blue
  size=2>What
  does it all mean?   IMO, working with only a current NASDAQ 100
  watchlist can give you a real sense of false security.   Not only
  are de-listed stocks not in the current list, but many of those de-listed
  stocks had lacklustre performance before their demise.

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <FONT face=Arial color=blue
  size=2>I
  encourage you to think about the impact of using only a current watchlist,
  regardless of how that list is constructed, for backtesting
  purposes.   I see it all the time.   System designers
  create watchlists of high-beta or high-yield or low P/E or whatever stocks
  based on current information to backtest a system starting perhaps five years
  ago.   Think about it!
  <P class=MsoNormal
  ><FONT
  face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN
  ><FONT face="Courier New"
  size=2>Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  ><FONT
  face="Courier New">Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
  face="Courier New">-----------------------------------------<FONT
  face="Courier New">Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
  amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web
  page: <A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)<FONT
  face="Courier New">--------------------------------------------<FONT
  face="Courier New">Check group FAQ at: <A

  <FONT
  face="Courier New" size=2>

  <FONT face="Courier New"
  size=2>Yahoo! Groups
  Links
  <FONT
  face=Symbol size=2><SPAN
  >·<SPAN

  <SPAN
  >To visit your group on the
  web, go to:<A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/

  <FONT
  face=Symbol size=2><SPAN
  >·<SPAN

  <SPAN
  >To unsubscribe from this
  group, send an email to:<A
  href="">amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  <FONT
  face=Symbol size=2><SPAN
  >·<SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Your use of Yahoo! Groups
  is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
  Service. Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
  group FAQ at: <A

    To visit your group on the web, go to:<A
    href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/

    To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<A
    href="">amibroker-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.