RE: [amibroker] Re: A Composite problem with High and Lows

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Thanks DT for your comments. You are correct in that it may be
better to create separate composites for certain normalized bar
patterns/ratios - I think that is what you hinted at. I will give that a
shot.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>I am not really using standard Candle patterns, i am just
analyzing OHLC bars to see if their are certain conditions that reoccur at
recognizable points and that could be used to optimize entry/exit points. Also,
Candles are nice to look at :-) easier to see changes than writing a lot of
code.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>thanks for reminding me of your "heavy guns", I will revisit those again
too...
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>thanks again DT,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>herman

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS
  [mailto:TSOKAKIS@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: December 27, 2003 3:34
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  A Composite problem with High and LowsHerman,I
  have never tried, till now, the "market candles".My first objection is on
  the method.When we create the composite ~C, we add, in equal weights, a
  C1=1$ to another C2=45$.If the next day the first stock makes an
  excellent +25%, it will be 1.25$ and its effect will disappear, since it
  will add a very small 0.0025 to the total sum of Closes. What is important
  is the changes of high C stocks and it does not reflect a reliable picture
  of the market. A +10% in one single stock of 50$ will add 5 units,
  which is equivalent to a +50% in 10 stocks of 1$ !!Prices should be
  normalised in order to be more effective.The next objection is on the
  logic.If you believe some candles formations are indicative for the next
  bar behavior, then it would be better to create the formation
  composite.I always include in the daily runs the "~morningstar"
  together with the "~eveningstar" N100 tickers. It is not the first rate
  decision tool but, whenever exceeds 10% it becomes a factor you can not
  overcome easily [A "~morningstar"=13% is not a reason to sell, an
  "~eveningstar"=12% is not a warning to buy any moving object...]The third
  objection refers to the market : N100 is quite fast, sometimes nervous. A
  candlestick formation nedds two-three bars and you should wait for the
  full formation, else the pattern does not exist. The massive agreement of
  the market will come [for a 3-day pattern] in 3-4 days, too late for the
  N100 behavior.My research is restricted mainly in the morning/evening star
  composites, I have not tried other patterns . The candlestick patterns
  results are very poor when compared to the heavy-duty machine guns
  [MeanRSI, MeanStochD, MeanCMO, MACDbull etc] of the N100 market.This
  is my experience, if there is another magic pattern with massive behavior
  I ignore, please drop a note to check it out.Dimitris Tsokakis--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman vandenBergen" <psytek@xxxx>
  wrote:> Perhaps HHP...> > But I would expect that if
  we were adding real time data, i.e. many> points/day. My formula
  doesn't know the difference between any of the OHLC> price arrays.
  The Open and Close appear to keep their significance while the>
  High and Low lose it. For some reason the H&L just averages out into
  average> volatility and, at least in composites.> > I
  would like to use composites for short term price prediction, like
  price> movements over the next day or so using Candle stick patterns.
  This doesn't> seem to work - has anybody tried it?> >
  herman>   -----Original Message----->
  From: harveyhp [mailto:harveyhp@xxxx]>   Sent: December 27,
  2003 2:34 AM>   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   Subject: Re: [amibroker] A
  Composite problem with High and Lows> > >
  Herman,>   Isn't this because the NDX and QQQ indices show
  the highest and lowest> momentary values actually reached during
  the day, whereas the composites are> necessarily calculated as if
  all the components reached their highs and lows>
  simultaneously?>   HHP>